Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are around 21.5 million people in the 16-44 age range in England(*), so 16 deaths means you had a 0.0001% chance of dying a death 'involving' Covid.

(*) The ONS data on this topic covers the 16-44 age range.

I'm not having that any one is this stupid.

do you think that everyone 16-44 has had Covid in the last 4 weeks?

Of course if you are young the risk of dying from Covid is MUCH smaller than if you are not. We have known from day one that risk rises fast with age and ALWAYS the big majority of deaths have been over 60.

But a small percentage of a huge number is still a big number - especially if the older ones have all chosen to be protected by vaccine.

So the percentage NOW dying in the younger age groups is still small but higher than it was because there are more of them not vaccinated than the ones in the higher age ranges.

But like I keep saying younger people being vaccinated is not so much to save them from dying. As most will not. But to save those they might infect who could. And the consequences to their education or work or going to watch City or whatever because they catch it and have to isolate.

This is not all about vaccines are only worth it if YOU are at big risk.

The interweaving thread of our society is potentially at risk if those who do not die cannot live normally.

Vaccines are right now our only path back to normality as sadly this virus is not likely to just vanish overnight.

Last edited:
Haha that stat is ridiculous!

Your percentage would only make sense if every single one of the 21.5m people in that age bracket had Covid in the same 5 day time period as the 16 that died from it.

I've just had a look at the ONS data on age of death involving Covid. As you probably know, that means any death where death is mentioned on the death certificate.

The readily available data stretches back to the week ending 12th Feb.

Overall, there are 395 attributed deaths in the 15-44 age group.

Given an estimated 21.5 millions in this age group, I make it that the risk of death in this group overall since February is around 0.0018%.

Of course, we don't know what % of those who died did so primarily because of Covid. We also don't know what proportion had been vaccinated, either wholly or in part.

I personally would hesitate to label anyone as being 'selfish' given these uncertainties, but others appear to have no such qualms.

103 all settings deaths - up from 73 last week.

88 in England - up from 54 last Saturday.

UK Cases FALL to 28, 612 - down 3196 on yesterday.

But up 2468 on last Saturday.

Recall both this and last Saturday are without Wales data. Which was 719 last when it was posted on Sunday.

Main data later tonight after the match but just quick highlight in case anyone checks at half time.

Most regions up week to week.

North West down week to week and on the day By a few hundred.

GM has a very good split of those falls - in fact week to week 215 of the 268 NW drop.

Zoe got right that Bury had high numbers and back up over 100 today.

Most others down significantly - including Salford and Stockport.

Trafford an even better day - under 100 and gained over Stockport even though SK had a good day.

Rochdale was the lowest scorer on just 80.

Wigan up but only slightly wk to wk for first time in a while.

More later.

It really is starting to look like the AZ vaccine gives stronger long term Covid immunity through T cells than the mRNA vaccines- reports from Isreal show mRNA vaccine efficacy tails off down to around 40% after 6 months months against Delta for double jabbed (3 weeks between doses).
I know this is an AZ paper but it is one of a number of journals reporting that AZ gives strong immunity a year later mainly from T cells.

German research seems to indicate that mixed vaccines 3 weeks apart give 4 time the number of antibodies. Therefore if we are going to get jabbed again this Autumn it is starting to look like we really should have a booster with a different type of vaccine.

Last edited:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:51 pm

What's the story with the delta variant being transmissible between vaccinated and unvaccinated alike? Is this a game changer regarding vaccines? Also, this new variant from Columbia is apparently suspected to be able to evade the current crop of vaccines, although this has not been confirmed. Have to say, I'm so f**king over this.

Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:51 pm

What's the story with the delta variant being transmissible between vaccinated and unvaccinated alike? Is this a game changer regarding vaccines? Also, this new variant from Columbia is apparently suspected to be able to evade the current crop of vaccines, although this has not been confirmed. Have to say, I'm so f**king over this.
No. Vaccines make you less ill if you catch it when vaccinated. If they didn't 1000+ would be dying every day at the moment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.