Coronavirus: Football Discussion Thread

Quite a few commentators suggesting that when football resumes we should finish off this season and then move into next season. I’m not sure how practical that would be. Firstly, when football resumes there would have to be a pre season to get players match fit. Secondly there would still have to be a close season to prepare logistically for the new season. The fixture list cannot be finalised until promotion and relegation is decided and Sky/ BT will still want their say.

Clubs would be selling season tickets without knowing which division they would be playing in. It’s completely unrealistic to expect the relegated clubs to start playing in the Championship a few weeks after being relegated without having any time to prepare for it. The same would apply to the promoted clubs although I expect they would take that rather than no promotion.

The issue of players contracts would be a nightmare for the promoted/relegated clubs, but there would also be huge implications for all clubs.

Yeah really don’t think they’ll be able to finish the season mate because there are too many games left. If there were just the 2 that they need then it would be manageable but with so many I think voiding it would be the only way to then try and get back to normal. I suppose all of Europe will have to decide though and do the same thing.

I had a htought this morning that the PL will adopt a 'pools panel' approach if the season doesn't resume! Liverpool will not lose another match with a clean sheet in every one, we will lose half of them culminating in a home battering by Norwich, and some teams who are sitting pretty comfortably mid-table will be shafted with a final matchday slide through the trapdoor into the Championship.

A week ago we'd be content Liverpool to win only the PL without breaking any records. I hate the cult but I wouldn't be unhappy if they decide to award them the title. From the best season ever to an awarded title in the space of weeks: they were punished for their arrogance. Their 19-20 season will be definitely worse than our 17-18 and 18-19 seasons. Which is perfectly fine for me.

Yeah really don’t think they’ll be able to finish the season mate because there are too many games left. If there were just the 2 that they need then it would be manageable but with so many I think voiding it would be the only way to then try and get back to normal. I suppose all of Europe will have to decide though and do the same thing.
I can't see any reason why Europe would have to follow suit?

A week ago we'd be content Liverpool to win only the PL without breaking any records. I hate the cult but I wouldn't be unhappy if they decide to award them the title. From the best season ever to an awarded title in the space of weeks: they were punished for their arrogance. Their 19-20 season will be definitely worse than our 17-18 and 18-19 seasons. Which is perfectly fine for me.
They can't award them the title as they haven't actually won it yet, and if they did then the clubs in promotion places would demand the same treatment. The clubs then relegated would sue for hundreds of millions plus the clubs missing out on European places. There may still be lawsuits if they just call it null & void but it would be the best case scenario out of a pretty shitty hand.

I can't see any reason why Europe would have to follow suit?

Just thinking because of the champions league etc. Couldn’t really have half of Europe finishing this season and half playing a new one. I know Scandinavia don’t play at the same time due to climate but I think they’ll want the big leagues all in sink. Anything could happen though as it’s such a mess so we’ll just have to wait 3 months and see.

It’s not just about who wins the league it’s about all the other “awards” UEFA completion places, relegation, merit ( money for position ) promotion this is not just about the PL it’s the whole football pyramid Unless all matches are played the season is void you can’t be champions of a void season. If they award them the champions then it opens up lots of possible issues which may go legal All this talk in the media is the start of their campaign

Thats before you even mention other leagues. Do Barcelona, Bayern, Celtic, Juve, etc etc etc all get given titles? would their league opponents be happy with that?

it wouldn't surprise me, nor would i really grudge it, if they were given the title. But it would be a bit of a farce, a forced one.
If roles were reversed, i doubt i'd want it that way.

Just thinking because of the champions league etc. Couldn’t really have half of Europe finishing this season and half playing a new one. I know Scandinavia don’t play at the same time due to climate but I think they’ll want the big leagues all in sink. Anything could happen though as it’s such a mess so we’ll just have to wait 3 months and see.
Ahh, told you I couldn't see a reason :(

Good point.

It is quite possible that simply binning this season and starting from scratch for 2020-21 may not work either. Will the season be ready to start in August or will a longer delay be needed?

I can see a case for concluding this season when the dust has settled in October and then operating a reduced season for 2020-21 starting November or December to get things back in line for 2021-22. This might involve a 19 League match PL plus cup competitions.

Far too soon to speculate though.

Quite a few commentators suggesting that when football resumes we should finish off this season and then move into next season. I’m not sure how practical that would be. Firstly, when football resumes there would have to be a pre season to get players match fit. Secondly there would still have to be a close season to prepare logistically for the new season. The fixture list cannot be finalised until promotion and relegation is decided and Sky/ BT will still want their say.

Clubs would be selling season tickets without knowing which division they would be playing in. It’s completely unrealistic to expect the relegated clubs to start playing in the Championship a few weeks after being relegated without having any time to prepare for it. The same would apply to the promoted clubs although I expect they would take that rather than no promotion.

The issue of players contracts would be a nightmare for the promoted/relegated clubs, but there would also be huge implications for all clubs.

sorry but concluding the season after June doesn’t make any sense.

at the end of June many players are out of contract. So do you let clubs make transfers?

do you have the transfer window like you usually do and THEN continue the season for 9-10 games??

So Norwich or Bournemouth can spend £70m to help them avoid relegation. Leicester can spend £100m to ensure they stay in a champions league spot. Is that fair?

How about all those teams that have nothing to play for? Where’s the motivation to finish the season after a 5 month break?

it’s complete farce.

the season has to be voided.

we’ll be lucky if the 2020/21 season starts on time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.