Coronavirus: Football Discussion Thread

Attempts will be made to finish the season if the possibility exists. Otherwise it will be cancelled and everything declared null and void in a legal sense at least. Whether the dippers would reveive some sort of consolation prize is another story. With Euro 2020 postponed this would allow an extra 3 to 4 weeks to complete fixtures in June but a definitive decision will need to be taken by early April when to restart or not. Despite what manny on this thread seem to think the decision when taken will have little or nothing to do with the consequences for the dippers but rather the consequences for a wide range of other clubs and stakeholders many of whom may have a lot more to lose.

I think this is key to me. A decision is going to have to be made in April, and while restarting in June is a possibility, it'll almost be impossible to make that call in April. And you can't keep modern, professional footballers in limbo like that, both for professional and personal reasons. And I don't just mean the men's leagues, because all these questions will be true for the women, for the EDS and so on so forth. If the PL kicks on then that has huge ramifications right across the pyramid. I just can't see the season been completed. And it's shite for everyone. At that point it really doesn't matter what happens to Liverpool, but there will be lots of complicated decisions to make and I think the only feasible solution will be call it void and for the PL, Sky and whoever else to make sure money is distributed around the lower leagues to keep clubs afloat.

We get the message you don’t need to repeat it You want to win the title and justify it by saying you got more points than anyone else could equal So you come up with this idiot plan to play two games well what happens if your current form continues? Look the season is fucked it’s void and in a few weeks that will be the decision

Why not give aston villa 2 more games to get out of the relegation places. or chelsea to secure 4th spot. or wolves to seal an europa place. etc etc etc.. it is a such a daft suggestion, it really is.

exactly, you cant give out a title based on a prediction, however likely it seems. Who'd have predicted us clawing back those 8 points in 2012, or liverpool coming back from 3-0 down against Barca last season, or heck their istanbull win, if any club should respect the unpredictability of sport, it should be them.

I get that they are so far in front, i even agree that they definitely deserve it, based on their season so far, but that based on an incomplete season can't be enough.
that would be like arguing that based on their last 5 games that they lost 4 of, on that form it would be certain they wouldnt win the league. Or that based on our firt leg against real madrid we are likely to win the CL, or that based on the first 15 minutes against norwich, tottenham deserve the FA cup. the margins are academic, it is either seen through to conclusion, or it counts for nothing.

It would be a meaningless title. I'd say the same if it was us. Everyone would quite rightly say, " Ahhh....but you didn't actually WIN it did you?"

No decision can be completely fair. Voiding the season means that Leicester are missing on the CL and they might not be able to compete with the big boys soon. What about SU who might need decades before competing for 5th or even 4th again.

Indeed, i said as much previously. it is only fair if everyone accepts it, the season has been abandoned in full, or completed in full. Anything else is a divvy up whats on the table job, and that isnt fair either.

At the end of the day, this is about a pandemic, and football needs to rally round foghting it, rather than focusing on making the best of the situation for clubs it affects.
The message is more important than the outcome, beit title, cl qualification or whatever. And a season voifed is a pretty clear message

Lots of dippers going on about a by-law that if 75% of games are completed a season can be curtailed as it stands in extreme circumstances. They’ve done their maths and are ok with 29/38. However if such a rule exists surely it would be 75% of the 380 games that would be needed? I’ve not worked how close we are to that threshold but reckon we are below it and why they wanted this round of games to go ahead before players were affected.

If indeed that rule exists, then nobidy can grudge it being followed.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.