Coronavirus: Football Discussion Thread

Our league season was pretty much fizzling out even before all this. Can you imagine we play Everton for example at Wembley behind closed doors. No one will give an absolute fuck. It’s pointless.

Doesn’t matter in the slightest what the fans think, this season is getting finished for Liverpool and the rest of the clubs that can’t got without a few quid.

The scousers have 9 games left and ignoring the fact they may want to go for various records, their season could effectively be over after 3-4 matches and then they take it easy. We have one more PL game than them, we are in the FA cup and the Champs League so a possible 10 more games, 20 in all. If we finish this season in August and go straight to playing next season, someone is going to have a huge advantage come next January/February...……… and it wont be us.

The scousers have 9 games left and ignoring the fact they may want to go for various records, their season could effectively be over after 3-4 matches and then they take it easy. We have one more PL game than them, we are in the FA cup and the Champs League so a possible 10 more games, 20 in all. If we finish this season in August and go straight to playing next season, someone is going to have a huge advantage come next January/February...……… and it wont be us.
I wouldn’t worry, I reckon your scenario is highly unlikely. Although I do love people’s optimism that this will be the case. Lockdown is likely to be over two months. When it “finishes” everybody won’t just carry on as normal until there is a vaccine. Social distancing will continue. Football, even behind closed doors would encourage crowds. There won’t be enough Police to do their jobs and then stop fans congregating. In my opinion you won’t see a football game until August 2021 for the start of the 21/22 season. It’s bleak but more likely than everyone just rocking up in a few weeks. I prefer your scenario because it means we have got a vaccine and delivered it in record time.

I wouldn’t worry, I reckon your scenario is highly unlikely. Although I do love people’s optimism that this will be the case. Lockdown is likely to be over two months. When it “finishes” everybody won’t just carry on as normal until there is a vaccine. Social distancing will continue. Football, even behind closed doors would encourage crowds. There won’t be enough Police to do their jobs and then stop fans congregating. In my opinion you won’t see a football game until August 2021 for the start of the 21/22 season. It’s bleak but more likely than everyone just rocking up in a few weeks. I prefer your scenario because it means we have got a vaccine and delivered it in record time.
Hey pal it makes me laugh when I hear some members of the cabinet, who think we can just go back to work to restart the economy in record time!

If it’s safe for the players then it should be safe for the fans. Football behind closed doors is pointless, it was seen as a punishment up until 6 weeks ago now it’s a positive

But let’s pretend this does happen(in pretty sure it won’t) it will creat the problem it is trying to solve. Do you seriously think(assuming there is an appetite for football) that Liverpool fans will be sat in the house having a cup of tea when they win the league or Villa fans will just have a dance in the living room if they stay up? Of course not, there will be 1000s on the streets hugging and kissing each other

But that’s after you convince the local hospitals to lend an ambulance and staff for several hours so a few millionaires can have a kick about.

It’s a non-starter

spot on

Premier League season may be completed in a five-week period, with the hope that teams will still use their own stadia, even if all matches have to be behind closed doors. Each team is expected to play around two games a week, over 35 days. [
@TeleFootbal

The two scenarios that appear to now exist for the Premier League are: Completing the season behind closed doors, without fans and with a skeleton staff in the stadium including a limited broadcast crew, OR curtailing the campaign.

There is no prospect at present of fans attending games with health officers advising that the likelihood is the Government will not sanction mass gatherings until the autumn.

The Premier League have blocked Sky Sports and BT Sport from asking any questions about the resumption of the football season or the impact of the suspension on players. [
@MailSport

FIFA cannot extend player contracts beyond June 30th - players whose contracts are ending will become free agents from July 1st.
@moillorens
via
@BarcaTimes

The FA has offered the use of Wembley Stadium and St George's Park as neutral venues to help finish the Premier League season.

@TimesSport

If it’s safe for the players then it should be safe for the fans. Football behind closed doors is pointless, it was seen as a punishment up until 6 weeks ago now it’s a positive

But let’s pretend this does happen(in pretty sure it won’t) it will creat the problem it is trying to solve. Do you seriously think(assuming there is an appetite for football) that Liverpool fans will be sat in the house having a cup of tea when they win the league or Villa fans will just have a dance in the living room if they stay up? Of course not, there will be 1000s on the streets hugging and kissing each other

But that’s after you convince the local hospitals to lend an ambulance and staff for several hours so a few millionaires can have a kick about.

It’s a non-starter
Absolute great post!

Exactly. It's either safe or it isn't. Footballers have families grandparents etc, also football is about entertaining, without fans it's pointless add that to the reality of 1000s of deaths and it becomes grotesque to even think about it playing a game in such circumstances
You wonder what the scenario would be if it wasn't either the dippers or the rags in this position?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.