Coronavirus: Football Discussion Thread

Now France have banned professional sport till the start of September does that mean the Champions League is now dead as PSG and Lyon cannot train or play?
i would asume so for any french teams,they cant play at home and they cant travel away so thats it,,its over and UEFA need to get a grip of the situation instead of looking at the cash pot

The subterfuge used to try and gain support ("It will lift the nation" and "This will be a lifeline to the smaller clubs") for continuing with the season is all rather unedifying. This is purely down to the self-interest of some football clubs, sports broadcasters, the press (who seem to think it will lead to more clicks to their websites and people buying more papers) and the fans of certain clubs. I will certainly will not be watching any PL match whilst the crisis continues. It is clear who is pushing this agenda as there are rarely any references to the importance of continuing with the FA Cup and Champions League, 'otherwise it would be a disaster for football'.

I have no issue with Leeds United, but due to the arrogance of their fans ("If the season is void this is a travesty as we were dead certs to get promoted. We will take legal action as it is unfair" - in the context of thousands of people dying each week), I genuinely hope they miss out.

With the amount of lobbying via the press, especially in the last week or so, this could be due to some parties wanting the season voiding. Maybe some clubs and possibly a significant number of players. You can understand the players having an issue with it. For example, De Bruyne's missus is heavily pregnant. During a pandemic, I doubt he would want to go to the training ground or play matches and then return home to the family. I also doubt he would want to be separated for them for several weeks.

Another thing that has irritated me....players were under a lot of pressure to make a financial contribution. Unfairly so, in my view. Now they are potentially being asked to accept health risks to themselves and their families in order to 'lift the nation'. If I was a footballer, my reaction to being asked to play would be to tell the football authorities authorities to stick it.
100%
When they talk about legal action I do wonder on what grounds as “not fair” isn’t something they could use There is also precedent going back to the war years

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.