Corruption in English football?

Uefa to investigate Barcelona over payments to former referees' official​

Uefa is to investigate payments made by Barcelona to a former vice president of Spain's referees' committee.
Uefa has appointed ethics and disciplinary inspectors to look into payments allegedly made for favorable refereeing decisions.
It took them long enough to act, almost as if they were forced to do something.

It took them long enough to act, almost as if they were forced to do something.
Payments ended in 2018, time limit for sporting sanctions is three years, and a couple for VAT and Covid and it's news in 2023. Spanish courts can still fuck them over for criminal activity and UEFA may yet get involved as they have a rule saying they can veto a club participating in European competitions for match-fixing.
Or perhaps UEFA will fuck them over as they still cling to the Super League dream.

Payments ended in 2018, time limit for sporting sanctions is three years, and a couple for VAT and Covid and it's news in 2023. Spanish courts can still fuck them over for criminal activity and UEFA may yet get involved as they have a rule saying they can veto a club participating in European competitions for match-fixing.
Or perhaps UEFA will fuck them over as they still cling to the Super League dream.
My comment 'took them long enough to act' was more about the fact that this story has been around for weeks. The Spanish prosecution have openly stated they had a case a couple of weeks ago. A competent and honest governing body would have at made a statement the day after the Spanish acted. Uefa waited, why ?

My comment 'took them long enough to act' was more about the fact that this story has been around for weeks. The Spanish prosecution have openly stated they had a case a couple of weeks ago. A competent and honest governing body would have at made a statement the day after the Spanish acted. Uefa waited, why ?
The charges concern La Liga (and possibly Spanish Cup) games only, unless Barcelona played other Spanish teams in UEFA competitions with Spanish referees. UEFA said they would wait until the outcome to see if they would apply their veto.
Also, UEFA seem to see their role as governing body for their club and national competitions rather than governing body for European football in general which is what I thought they were supposed to be.

The charges concern La Liga (and possibly Spanish Cup) games only, unless Barcelona played other Spanish teams in UEFA competitions with Spanish referees. UEFA said they would wait until the outcome to see if they would apply their veto.
Also, UEFA seem to see their role as governing body for their club and national competitions rather than governing body for European football in general which is what I thought they were supposed to be.

Surely if Barca have fixed games in La Liga it means have cheated their way into the champs league qualifying.

Indeed.

But when you consider the amount of money sloshing round in the game, and you have a story that could potentially kill the golden goose then you'd have to be incredibly careful and measured with your response. Imagine if there were credible evidence that this has impacted CL results??? That would be HUGE.

You can bet your bottom dollar that FIFA/UEFA and La Ligue have been working their arses off with the lawyers and insulating themselves at the highest levels to ensure minimal levels of fall out, but if story has legs then it could be curtains for La Ligue and UEFA.

I'm reliably informed that they're waiting for a random Portuguese kid to get a gossip rag to publish some illegally obtained, doctored and out of context emails suggesting that there's a small chance that Barca might have briefly considered doing something that could be construed to have bent some rules that weren't in place at the time before throwing the kitchen sink at them and getting their mates in the press to carry out a decade long assassination job on the clubs reputation.

I'm reliably informed that they're waiting for a random Portuguese kid to get a gossip rag to publish some illegally obtained, doctored and out of context emails suggesting that there's a small chance that Barca might have briefly considered doing something that could be construed to have bent some rules that weren't in place at the time before throwing the kitchen sink at them and getting their mates in the press to carry out a decade long assassination job on the clubs reputation.
That just sounds way too far fetched... ;-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.