Corruption in English football?

Thanks. Wasn't aware of that. Its more associated to the cult of the Dippers than corruption in football though. I thought you meant he was fired for outing corruption.
It’s intrinsicly linked mate;

The point I brought that up with was talking about the media, the journalists play to the devils tune, and if not ( e.g. attacking one of the golden geese) they’re thrown out.

Corruption has always been involved with football in this country but was always in the shadows, now it is in plain sight.
Nice to reply to my alter-ego!

I'd argue the opposite though. The 1905-6 bribery & illegal payments scandal involving us and Billy Meredith was a big news story at the time, one of the biggest there had been.

Then there was the Good Friday bribery case between Liverpool & United in 1915, which was another huge story. There was a scandal in the 1960's where Sheffield Wednesday players took bribes to throw a game at Ipswich.

It's now that it's brushed under the carpet. There have been two scandals that i've been told about involving over half-a-dozen top-flight referees in the PL that have been successfully brushed under the carpet. Not only were they not punished, but some were rewarded with plum jobs within the game. One is even still refereeing in the top flight (although he never gets important games).

Clear as day, Var just makes it easier for them to manipulate results. Oh look a penalty for a dive given to the rags, Var well not a clear or obvious error, penalty stands. Say the exact same incident by against the rags ( fiction as ref would have to give it), Var tells ref to double check monitor and says no penalty.

was it Halsey who almost spillled the beans about him being told to change his report before it all went quiet and swept under the carpet

At the end of the day, it will take someone from within football to out this.
On the one hand I would expect those PL clubs that haven't got a chance to win it even on a level playing field to band together and expose the bias. It is the PL clubs that hold governance of the PL. If you believe footballisfixed, half those clubs are up to their necks in dodgy betting rings and dodgy agents so maybe they don't say anything because folks in greenhouses can't be hurling bricks around.

I said last season that this would be the Rags year. I haven't been far off the mark so far.

I'd argue the opposite though. The 1905-6 bribery & illegal payments scandal involving us and Billy Meredith was a big news story at the time, one of the biggest there had been.

Then there was the Good Friday bribery case between Liverpool & United in 1915, which was another huge story. There was a scandal in the 1960's where Sheffield Wednesday players took bribes to throw a game at Ipswich.

It's now that it's brushed under the carpet. There have been two scandals that i've been told about involving over half-a-dozen top-flight referees in the PL that have been successfully brushed under the carpet. Not only were they not punished, but some were rewarded with plum jobs within the game, including the top job itself. One is even still refereeing in the top flight (although he never gets important games).
Happy new year Colin and thank you for taking the time to reply to my message. My point was that corruption now is readily concealed by both the league and the media whereas on previous scandals the authorities and media called it out for what is was. With reference to your reference to scandals involving current referees, I know about the scandal involving the individual who has the top job but the second individual you referenced was he due to referee a game of ours against Bolton but was withdrawn late in the day due to 'family reasons'?

It's now that it's brushed under the carpet. There have been two scandals that i've been told about involving over half-a-dozen top-flight referees in the PL that have been successfully brushed under the carpet. Not only were they not punished, but some were rewarded with plum jobs within the game. One is even still refereeing in the top flight (although he never gets important games).

Why do we brush it under the carpet PB?

surely after everything we’ve been on the end of we’d go on the attack, I don’t get it.

Why do we brush it under the carpet PB?

surely after everything we’ve been on the end of we’d go on the attack, I don’t get it.
Too much money at stake is the obvious answer. Too many snoughts in the trough. Who's going to kill the goose that laid the golden egg?

Happy new year Colin and thank you for taking the time to reply to my message. My point was that corruption now is readily concealed by both the league and the media whereas on previous scandals the authorities and media called it out for what is was. With reference to your reference to scandals involving current referees, I know about the scandal involving the individual who has the top job but the second individual you referenced was he due to referee a game of ours against Bolton but was withdrawn late in the day due to 'family reasons'?
Can't remember which game it was but he wouldn't ever have been given a game involving Bolton for one very good reason. ;-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.