Cost of living crisis - how are you all doing?

The debate has been migration is required to fill the jobs that our aging population cant fill. Those jobs arent there. Unless you want to work in care , which very much isnt for everyone.
At some point, we will come out of the tail spin we are in and businesses will start popping up all around.

These will need younger people as we all age.

Anybody with healthcare qualifications could get a job instantly anywhere around the country.

With all due respect, if he's university educated why is he looking for low paid jobs and perhaps he's over qualified for the jobs he's going for. Both my daughters are uni educated and likewise done the travelling thing and neither has a job in their chosen course yet they seem to have no trouble getting new or better paid employment. Does he have confidance in his own abilities......
I take your point, but it doesnt take away the fact, every job was massivly over applied for.

At some point, we will come out of the tail spin we are in and businesses will start popping up all around.

These will need younger people as we all age.

Anybody with healthcare qualifications could get a job instantly anywhere around the country.
I agree with that. And maybe we have to hit the buffers every now n then , let house prices crash etc.

With all due respect, if he's university educated why is he looking for low paid jobs and perhaps he's over qualified for the jobs he's going for. Both my daughters are uni educated and likewise done the travelling thing and neither has a job in their chosen course yet they seem to have no trouble getting new or better paid employment. Does he have confidance in his own abilities......
He was applying for lower paid jobs because he isnt ready for a career yet. He wants to get travelling out of his system before life takes over, and i whole heartedly support that.
He knows what he wants to do, just not yet.

I was a civil servant up until I gave it up to look after my Grandma. It’s been 9 years so far and she’s now 96. I didn’t expect her to go on so long.

I made some investments that allowed me to do that. I’ll get back into work when she dies.

I do some voluntary work with Fairshare and help some of the elderly in our area with shopping and spending some time with the isolated.

The care homes I visit are always changing staff and are generally understaffed. This is more a choice of the home owners, who siphon off as much money as they can whilst providing the minimum care required.

Jobs are more scarce because businesses are failing as the cost of utilities and rates rise.

The country needs a proper discussion around a recalibration of society and for people to look out for each other more.
You've not worked for 9 years ? How old are you now?

What industry were you getting these job offers from?

Migration and immigration are very much required in sectors where its needed. Nhs seemingly has big gaps.
But it shouldnt be at the loss of jobs to young people born n bred here
Fairly transferable admin and HR skills but predominantly civil service with a legal tinge.

Have I left out that I’ve been working since 2001? I’ve significantly more experience than a graduate and not likely to be poached elsewhere!

In the fortunate position of having enough to live on through my working life and never been bothered by boom and bust or political policies. Now in retirement and with savings and income living comfortably. Not being smug about things and if I had to change I would just go back to work or adjust my life style. I don’t tend to spend much unless it’s on the house but I take great comfort in knowing I can have anything I want without going in to debt but day to day I don’t tend to want very expensive things anyway.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.