Could we learn from another sport regarding atmosphere?

cfn1963

There are regular posts moaning about the atmosphere or lack of it in the ground. The club clearly recognises this with its well intentioned but perhaps misguided initiatives, and there are various attempts at songs on BM, some of which are very good or clever but will never catch on because no one will remember the words. Also don't underestimate the number of people that don't feel comfortable shouting out 'fucking' every other line in a song in front of their kids/wife etc. This isn't just the prawn sandwich brigade. And may other songs are just tired old rehashes of the same tune heard at every other ground in the country.

Meanwhile, watching the NFL on TV (and a few live games in the US), the crowd makes a massive amount of noise just screaming random stuff. This is often when the opposition have the ball to prevent their team hearing play calls - yes it gets so loud that the players standing next to the QB can't hear what he is saying. The crowd can have a direct influence on the game. And all this usually in open stadia.

We already do some of this. The continuous chants of CITY CITY CITY is something that everybody joins in on, and is pretty intimidating. The YAYA/KOLO chant is similar. So if we don't already have a song for a specific player, why not just chant his name repeatedly until the whole ground joins in? This could also work for Pellegrini. No need to learn the words. No need for stand leaders. Being out of time in different parts of the ground doesn't matter. Can offer great encouragement to a particular player. Generates lots of noise - even if parts of the ground are chanting different players. Simple but effective.

PS: Please spare me any slagging off of the NFL. We are talking about crowd noise here.

It's only a few stadiums that get really loud. Here in Dallas our radio pundits slag off the home crowd for how quiet it is ( unless Green Bay or Steelers are playing, then half the stadium is their fans making noise ). One of the things that completely drew me into the EPL is the chants. Soooo much better than random noise. The coordination to get everyone singing the same song and the volume is incredible.

cfn1963 said:
There are regular posts moaning about the atmosphere or lack of it in the ground. The club clearly recognises this with its well intentioned but perhaps misguided initiatives, and there are various attempts at songs on BM, some of which are very good or clever but will never catch on because no one will remember the words. Also don't underestimate the number of people that don't feel comfortable shouting out 'fucking' every other line in a song in front of their kids/wife etc. This isn't just the prawn sandwich brigade. And may other songs are just tired old rehashes of the same tune heard at every other ground in the country.

Meanwhile, watching the NFL on TV (and a few live games in the US), the crowd makes a massive amount of noise just screaming random stuff. This is often when the opposition have the ball to prevent their team hearing play calls - yes it gets so loud that the players standing next to the QB can't hear what he is saying. The crowd can have a direct influence on the game. And all this usually in open stadia.

We already do some of this. The continuous chants of CITY CITY CITY is something that everybody joins in on, and is pretty intimidating. The YAYA/KOLO chant is similar. So if we don't already have a song for a specific player, why not just chant his name repeatedly until the whole ground joins in? This could also work for Pellegrini. No need to learn the words. No need for stand leaders. Being out of time in different parts of the ground doesn't matter. Can offer great encouragement to a particular player. Generates lots of noise - even if parts of the ground are chanting different players. Simple but effective.

PS: Please spare me any slagging off of the NFL. We are talking about crowd noise here.
Don't think you can force stuff like that, just comes naturally like in a derby.

As has been said a million times the only way the atmosphere will improve is if the away fans are moved and the two singing sections are joined together (preferably with safe standing).

I've been a city fan since I was about 16 from here in the states and am now well out of university. That being said, the sport I hold the most allegiance to is college football, which usually is said to have much better atmosphere than any NFL game. The noise levels in Death Valley in Baton Rouge, LA can be absolutely deafening and my college's noise level is just unreal without any real organized chanting. That being said, our stadium here holds 102k, much more than almost every PL ground, but atmosphere is mostly just a spontaneous happening. In the states, crowds respond very well to prompts from the stadium announcer, which doesn't happen at all in the UK. That's a huge factor along with the fact that the stop-start of American football allows for the stadium to get enormously loud when plays happen, not for 45 continuous minutes. Personally, I prefer the coordinated songs.

so when the other team have the ball we have to yell at the top of our voices random bollocks in the hope it puts the players off? I'm alright

There 1 thing we can learn from rugby is to allow drinking in the stands but no, football supporters would cause a riot if this were the case! (for the record I no longer think this is a problem, there are far more important issues to sort out first like ticket prices and safe standing)

We could learn a lot from our cousins across the pond about 'atmosphere'.

We could start going "whoop woop" and stirring an imaginary pot when we score, shouting 'go silva!' and all that.

Really appreciate the input of you crazy guys.

Memphinho said:
I've been a city fan since I was about 16 from here in the states and am now well out of university. That being said, the sport I hold the most allegiance to is college football, which usually is said to have much better atmosphere than any NFL game. The noise levels in Death Valley in Baton Rouge, LA can be absolutely deafening and my college's noise level is just unreal without any real organized chanting. That being said, our stadium here holds 102k, much more than almost every PL ground, but atmosphere is mostly just a spontaneous happening. In the states, crowds respond very well to prompts from the stadium announcer, which doesn't happen at all in the UK. That's a huge factor along with the fact that the stop-start of American football allows for the stadium to get enormously loud when plays happen, not for 45 continuous minutes. Personally, I prefer the coordinated songs.

Based on your user name and preferred team's stadium capacity I presume you are u UT fan?

The best way to get a better atmosphere would be to bring back standing and lower ticket prices to the same price in real terms that they were 25 years ago.

Stadiums today are full of affluent, older people and you are never going to get much of an atmosphere from them.

Yeah, we could look back on re-runs of Saturday lunchtime wrestling on World of Sport with Dickie Davies?

We're Big Daddy and the rest of the Premier League are shite like Paddy Fagin and Rollerboy Rocco.

All together now, 'Easy, Easy, Easy'

Before belly flopping, and killing King Kong Kirk!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.