COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s what we asked Labour at the election ;-)

But in all seriousness we’re borrowing it.

I'd rather they didnt borrow it, but needs must.
Business failing to invest ready for the end of this nightmare need to be taxed more heavily when the crisis is over. They have been given the Golden Ticket and need to use it.

Last edited:
Although they had to be dragged out of the Govt. really pleased with these measures today.

me too.

They deserve props for having the balls to ‘listen’. I’m really pleased they are going to support those out of work as a result of the virus.
Bumbling he may be but he’s done the right thing here.

Perhaps. After the war people wanted something different and something for themselves and if the Govt starts dishing out wages how far does that nudge us down the road towards a universal basic income? Or if can we house the homeless now why not normally or retool the NHS so that it has some slack for emergencies rather than running it at capacity so that it’s ‘cost efficient’?

It’s not who is doing this but what they are doing and how that impacts on society’s thinking.

I'm not going to get into a debate on those points but in simple terms it's about what is affordable. What has just been done is not something sustainable and it could well create knock-on problems but hopefully it will give us a chance to recover reasonably quickly from this catastrophic situation. Paying for it is going to be some burden but hopefully (that word again) that will be less miserable than the alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.