COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been one of the most astonishing revelations to me so far is just how many people literally do not do any research at all even on a topic as important as this for themselves, family and friends.

I’m all for having a laugh and have probably taken that to my extreme in my youth with hedonism bordering on insanity but I was still always aware of many issues in the world from arts, finance, politics and sciences. Having nearly spent as much time in the UK and overseas I do think the UK has a disproportionally higher amount of daytime TV watchers than Europe who only seem to know a lot about insurance claims or collecting sovereign gold coins.
The daytime TV thing is an interesting point. I was working from home yesterday and the missus put channel 5 on in the background for a bit. There was some unbelievable arsehole talk radio presenter on a panel that was obviously on just for his ludicrously right wing Trumpian like views talking absolute shit about the coronavirus. I’m guessing this is typical of daytime TV and gullible people who have preconceived ideas will latch on to bollocks like this to reinforce their own idiotic opinions. At times like this where it’s important to get accurate information across, producers should really think twice about using shock jock techniques to create controversy.

I should point out that channel 5 didn’t stay on very long.

The daytime TV thing is an interesting point. I was working from home yesterday and the missus put channel 5 on in the background for a bit. There was some unbelievable arsehole talk radio presenter on a panel that was obviously on just for his ludicrously right wing Trumpian like views talking absolute shit about the coronavirus. I’m guessing this is typical of daytime TV and gullible people who have preconceived ideas will latch on to bollocks like this to reinforce their own idiotic opinions. At times like this where it’s important to get accurate information across, producers should really think twice about using shock jock techniques to create controversy.

I should point out that channel 5 didn’t stay on very long.
Daytime tv is the worst thing ever.
This morning then that bloody loose women.
And these twats get paid

very interesting and as you say it looks like we still need more research and data feedback on that ( although the less data we get back the better obviously on mortality) -

but if it was proven that you should stop taking/reducing your inhibitors could this been done relatively safely over a short period of higher risk for you? I know the answer won’t be straightforward as I assume these chemicals have time lags in the system.
There are three main classes of antihypertensive drugs, the two mentioned above and calcium channel blockers. One could possibly switch to these. Also some people take diuretics.

There are presumably clinical criteria GPs use before deciding which are best for an individual. My feeling is normally they try an ACE inhibitor and if that doesn't work you take another one.

I think coming of an ACE inhibitor and moving to a Calcium channel blocker would need to be done under supervision.

Yes. I am isolating. So are my Mum and Dad. I skyped them yesterday but was upset at their reaction that a BBC report was suggesting they'd still be isolating in 12 months. That really isn't the projection at all.

People IMO do need to isolate and follow the advice but they also need hope.

Isolation wil lbe a major issue for many, I know somewho have only been in it for
well not completely. Using the spirit of the blitz to set a standard of social conduct is not a bad thing. As you say, the reality was very different to the myth but if you spread the myth people will be persuaded to some degree that it was the norm and tend to want to emulate it.

People are using it to justify stupidity though, it is mainly being voiced by those advocating not isolating and not following NHS advice with some idea we didn't have to lock down in the blitz like the situations are the same.

Can anyone help me with advice please as I have read so much I am confused.

We are self isolating because my lads gf has been told to ( she works in hospital ). My lads bosses have told him to do the same, which means we have been told to as well by our surgery.

Can one of us go out and get food etc or do we have to get someone to shop for us ?

Thanks ...

I find the safest way for me is to send the Mrs out and then strictly follow social distancing protocols, the last cuddle I had to endure was 2 weeks ago, so stones and birds and all that. This may be helpful guidelines for shopping depending on your risk profile with the virus -

F
  • First and foremost, go grocery shopping as little as possible.
  • If you can limit your number of trips to the store, you'll limit your exposure.
  • Go solo. Do not bring others with you unless you have to. Limiting exposure to just yourself reduces the chance of carrying the virus home or infecting others while out.
  • What to Bring
    • Bring hand sanitizer / germicide and use it on your hands and on the shopping cart before AND after you're finished shopping.
    • Avoid handling cash if you can, bring and use credit or debit options. This reduces the amount of direct interactions you have to have with the checkout person.
    • There are two schools of thought on reusable bags right now. There are bag shortages at some stores, so bringing them could be smart. But if you don't disinfect your bags, and don't plan on disinfecting them before you go to the store, leave them at home during the pandemic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.