COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently yesterday and presumably Thursday were ‘learning days’ so they didn’t enforce it. That was certainly the case in Waitrose where my colleagues’ other half went. She asked the staff

I went to Tesco in Sale at about 9:15 and it was chocker full of old folk and general customers - someone needs 1) to enforce it and 2) help the older people get round a little quicker and out so they don’t have to mix and queue with the general public
I live in brooklands and its carnage in the supermarkets, really is dog eat dog. I'm currently getting things to do in the garden makes a difference being outside!

For those over 70 year olds, completely appalled by yesterday's reports from BBC correspondents that isolation could last for 12 months, this is not the most likely explanation.

Please find below a tweet from the scientist whose work lies behind the current suppression model. The graphic (not his work but he endorses it) considers the medium term.

In particular see the timescale and 'the Dance'.

The BBC says to be aware of social media misinformation. They should perhaps consider that some of their own reports of 12 months of isolation are actually not supported by the best science. They are worse case scenarios.

I thought this was important to circulate as my over 70s parents were completely dismayed by the prospect of 12 months of this. They have new grandchildren who they are waiting desperately to see.

The only sensible approach is everyone
isolates regardless of age right now.. Then in a few months the numbers will be way down.

If people are still going out to the non food shops,take aways, and generally taking a more relaxed view of it, the virus will spread across the younger and middle aged population. Then it might well be the case that older folks need to stay isolated for longer to avoid contact with those infected.

They have about 5 times the number of ventilator beds than we do, if I remember correctly, that's the highest in europe so perhaps those beds are just keeping them alive longer ?

That said, their death rate has increased significantly in recent days, and their infection rate isn't slowing either, it was 1500 more today than yesterday (4500+), up by nearly 50% in a day today (under 3000 yesterday).

Yep. Death rate up around 50% each of the last 2 days

I live in brooklands and its carnage in the supermarkets, really is dog eat dog. I'm currently getting things to do in the garden makes a difference being outside!

I’m Brooklands as well. I live off Brooklands road just before the big roundabout near the co-op

Can anyone help me with advice please as I have read so much I am confused.

We are self isolating because my lads gf has been told to ( she works in hospital ). My lads bosses have told him to do the same, which means we have been told to as well by our surgery.

Can one of us go out and get food etc or do we have to get someone to shop for us ?

Thanks ...

Ideally it is said try and see if you can get someone to go shops for you and leave at the door.

I am in the high risk group and have my parents, and two friend who have offered to go shops for me if necessary, luckily because of my work I have a face mask and disposable gloves so if I do desperately need to go shops I don these as an extra precaution.

The only sensible approach is everyone
isolates regardless of age right now.. Then in a few months the numbers will be way down.

If people are still going out to the non food shops,take aways, and generally taking a more relaxed view of it, the virus will spread across the younger and middle aged population. Then it might well be the case that older folks need to stay isolated for longer to avoid contact with those infected.
Yes. I am isolating. So are my Mum and Dad. I skyped them yesterday but was upset at their reaction that a BBC report was suggesting they'd still be isolating in 12 months. That really isn't the projection at all.

People IMO do need to isolate and follow the advice but they also need hope.

Not sure if this article from the Lancet has been linked here as it’s a couple of days old but very interesting read on co-morbidity factors.

ACE inhibitors such as used by diabetics and those who have high blood pressure seem to increase the production of ACE2, the cell type that nCov binds to, which may mean that such people are at risk. It seems ACE2 is substantially increased in patients with type 1 or type 2 diabetes, who are treated with ACE inhibitors and angiotensin II type-I receptor blockers (ARBs).

if anybody does take these tablets for either ailment can’t they come off them for a while safely? during this period? Huge amount of diabetics in the UK and US so not sure if these inhibitors are dispensed of to everyone with 1 and 2?

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanres/article/PIIS2213-2600(20)30116-8/fulltext

There were people who didn't take me seriously when i had this virus really badly,kicking the bucket would have freed up some bandwidth but sorry i held on
I am still remembering me being to told to "wipe your fanny" when 3 weeks ago, I said this was the biggest crisis facing this country since WW2.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.