COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are still people on LinkedIn and Twitter arguing the toss about the % survival rate and that most will only get a runny nose

Reading their posts it’s like they live in a parallel universe or they are watching a different news channel. Someone told me on Thursday that the ‘scaremongers’ has got to me - unbelievable. This has been obvious to anyone who’s paid attention for about 6-8 weeks. Now I understand why not all people do pay attention, they might not have the radio on all day like I do but if they haven’t realised in the past 2-3 weeks then I don’t think they ever will

Been one of the most astonishing revelations to me so far is just how many people literally do not do any research at all even on a topic as important as this for themselves, family and friends.

I’m all for having a laugh and have probably taken that to my extreme in my youth with hedonism bordering on insanity but I was still always aware of many issues in the world from arts, finance, politics and sciences. Having nearly spent as much time in the UK and overseas I do think the UK has a disproportionally higher amount of daytime TV watchers than Europe who only seem to know a lot about insurance claims or collecting sovereign gold coins.

Just looking at the pictures of the pubs being packed with young people getting drunk and hugging each other etc.

It's hard to think that 80 years ago it was that age group that was fighting for our freedom. How times have changed, now its ignore the advice of keeping the public safe we are out to get pissed.

If all those young people were spreading it around last night and could now somehow avoid the old and those with underlying health issues - would that be the ideal situation.

90231682_3164151723629809_8492935465744203776_n-1.jpg

Apologies if someone already posted this.
Jesus

another ball ache !

If all those young people were spreading it around last night and could now somehow avoid the old and those with underlying health issues - would that be the ideal situation.

You can't really avoid other people, they could pass it on to work colleagues, who pass it on the their elderly parents. It was an unnecessary risk to take.

As I take ACE inhibitors I've been following this for a couple of weeks and the situation is a bit more nuanced than the Lancet article. In fact there are other studies that show taking these medicines can help people during this outbreak due to the antiinflammatory nature of the ACE2 enzyme.
In addition the Chinese say one of the things that is found in the dead are very low potassium levels.
People on ACE inhibitors and blockers are often advised to avoid bananas, avocados because of the high potassium content. Why? Because the two drugs tend to cause decreased sodium and high potassium levels. So eating more bananas can take your potassium levels to high and your sodium levels dangerously low.
So in short a drug that raise your potassium levels might theoretically be useful if infected by covid 19.
As I say it's complicated and the current advice until more is known is to continue the medication.

very interesting and as you say it looks like we still need more research and data feedback on that ( although the less data we get back the better obviously on mortality) -

but if it was proven that you should stop taking/reducing your inhibitors could this been done relatively safely over a short period of higher risk for you? I know the answer won’t be straightforward as I assume these chemicals have time lags in the system.

Wont a golf course be closed ? It's a leisure/sports club. I guess the club house and changing rooms, pro-shop etc could be closed and you just get changed in the car park.

Nothing stopping you taking a few clubs and balls to the course and playing a few far flung holes away from prying eyes, got a fishing pond on my local course too, I won't be going stir crazy.

Nothing stopping you taking a few clubs and balls to the course and playing a few far flung holes away from prying eyes, got a fishing pond on my local course too, I won't be going stir crazy.

Getting in a few freebie rounds lol as an ex head greenkeeper you sound like a member I wont have got on with lol.....no offence, just when I closed the course I would have thrown you off ;).....have fun lol

But he made the argument with no knowledge of the actual research in all fields and the strategy that the government was working on. He is an expert in one field which is great but it's only one imputes into the equation. the government strategy has to look at as many variables as possible to find the optimum solution. His opinion is valid, but only one part of the overall picture.
From a minimising deaths point of view, the optimum solution mate, is keeping the infections to an absolute minimum. The more infections, the more deaths. It's very, very simple. And if we have far too many infections then the NHS gets overloaded and the death rate shoots up. There's no ambiguity nor subtly of argument here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.