COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
That **** needs a big dose of it. What a bellend. Who is he anyway?
One of Hereford's finest....
20200321-123041.jpg

Just spotted this on twitter...

Wow.

I had no idea who he was so I just googled his name and turns out he's a former soldier. A former soldier who doesn't even know the main objective soldiers should try to achieve.
But then I also read he's made a career on tv with realities so I wasn't that surprised anymore.

Funny, because ICL who are supplying Boris with the modelling, said they only realised after his first speech that they got the death rate figure wrong and following the initial strategy would have resulted in 250k deaths and would result in the NHS going 800% over capacity, so they had to change strategy.

They’ve published the data and in the report explained they only realised the data was wrong after the initial speech was made.

Unless you have some further info to suggest ICL published a fake report??
They being who? Boris? The Cabinet?
Wrong it's SAGE the government scientific support in emergencies network that expands to include universities and other scientific institutions.
Oh and the input data didnt relect the current situation data from Italy. So it was changed.
Nice try not no cigar.

Just back from trying to do our weekly shop same as last week NO pasta, bake bins, eggs, loo roll, meat.

When are people that work 8 till 5 , 5 days a week meant to get food etc ?
It's not been much better during the days, tbh.

There's no real emergency going forward. The shops will stay open, and we have months upon months of supplies in the country. Being patient is the best idea.

The following is what I have been trying to say for the last week or two, but explained in a much better than I’ve been putting it, I rather suspect.

“The figures for coronavirus are eye-watering. But what is not clear - because the modellers did not map this - is to what extent the deaths would have happened without coronavirus.

Of course, this will never truly be known until the pandemic is over, which is why modelling is very difficult and needs caveats.

But given that the old and frail are the most vulnerable, would these people be dying anyway?

Every year more than 500,000 people die in England and Wales: factor in Scotland and Northern Ireland, and the figure tops 600,000.

The coronavirus deaths will not be on top of this. Many would be within this "normal" number of expected deaths. In short, they would have died anyway.

It was a point conceded by Sir Patrick at a press conference on Thursday when he said there would be "some overlap" between coronavirus deaths and expected deaths - he just did not know how much of an overlap.
In contrast, the figure he gave for flu deaths to MPs - 8,000 - is different. It is actually the number of deaths over and above what you would expect to happen in any given year.

Many more die with flu, but the figure gives you an indication of how many more die because of flu, whereas the 20,000, 250,000 and 500,000 figures for coronavirus are simply the number of deaths linked to coronavirus.

The testing which has been done in many countries means we know when a patient dies with the virus inside their body. What it does not tell us is to what extent coronavirus contributed to the death.
There are, of course, other factors at play here. Left unchecked, the deaths would come very quickly.
The 500,000 deaths could all occur in the UK by August, the modellers said.
This in itself would overwhelm the health service - if they were right - putting even more lives at risk, because care would not be available for others.
But there is certainly evidence to suggest the modellers have underestimated the ability of the NHS to increase intensive care capacity.
What else has not been done is a proper assessment of the economic and social costs of the measures taken, which themselves will put lives and health at risk.

As we get deeper into this crisis, we will need much greater intelligence on just how many lives are truly being saved, and compare that to the wider cost to society, so the government and the public can weigh up the best course of action”.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51979654

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.