COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
First personal knowledge. Couple we know quite well, in their 80s. Wife died suddenly, funeral with just close family members 10 days ago, he's now in ICU with pneumonia and on a CPAP (not yet confirmed as Covid but worrying for the rest of the family on top of bereavement).

Good luck mate.
Which part of China are you holed up in?

In Dongguan, Guangdong. It didn't have too many cases, 101. One death. Everyone else has recovered. Hearing that the long damage to some is lifelong and others serious. Hoping, really hoping the UK gets its act together. This is far worse than I thought possible a month ago.

How's the bat soup going down. & the puppy blamange desert..

This is obviously linked to wet markets and wildlife trade. China is pushing through some serious laws. They've lost so much face, and many lives, many. The world is suffering too. If it wasn't here, it could have started in Vietnam, Korea, a whole list of countries. The thing is, it is too late to laugh at it all, because its on our doorsteps, everywhere, knocking and pushing its way through. We'll all suffer for this. It is too sad for me to laugh at. Especially, seeing as bear bile is classed as a TCM (traditional Chinese med)... and is sanctioned to treat COVID19.

Sorry, I can't joke anymore about this. Over here, in China, foreigners are experiencing xenphobia for importing cases into the country, jobs are going for fellow teachers and workers who were needed here. Gallow's humour is all well and good but there is a time and place. The blancmange is to die for.

Last edited:
I'm still loving the idea that this virus can be controlled by current measures.

- At least 20% of those infected are asymptomatic. So they never show any symptoms at all, yet can still infect others. Worse still, evidence is starting to suggest that this figure may be much higher.

- it's looking like the virus can be passed to others up to 18 feet away! So the 6 foot exclusion range is only about 90% effective.

- Thanks to the great and the good in PHE and NHS, the UK has a doctrine of not wearing facemasks. (Apparantly in the immediate response to a possible outbreak of SARS it would have cost the UK too much to keep a stock of them.) So we dont protect those people we meet by wearing one. They only give the wearer 80% protection, but that's not the point - THEY PROTECT OTHERS FROM YOU. There is a reason surgical teams wear them to protect the patient! From the lunchtime news, I also see the BBC is still trying to keep the doctrine going - it is truely pathetic.

And they think testing can control it? Maybe iin a country like China where human rights dont exit, it is an aid. But it won't do much here (except for health service staff of course). To stand a chance you would have to quintruple the level of testing in Germany! The country lauded as doing very well.

The sooner they extract blood plasma from blood donated from survivors and inject it into people at risk the better. Until we get a vacine this is the only way it an be contained and it's effect minimised.

Last edited:
I'm still loving the idea that this virus can be controlled.

- At least 20% of those infected are asymptomatic. So they never show any symptoms at all, yet can still infect others. Worse still, evidence is starting to suggest that this figure may be much higher.

That's an amazingly good thing, not a bad thing.

Just listening to Sky News an they have a story on US having 6.6m people applying for unemployment benefit. The person they had on said the figures are looking towards 15% unemployment which is around the same numbers as the great depression, mad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.