COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the problems is that the press are clearly thinking there is one disease cycle here when there are clearly 9. London, South East, West Midlands, South Wales, Central Scotland, Cumbria, North West, Yorkshire & North East. All of which will peak at different times.
The South East and London have already peaked. South Wales, Cumbria, Central Scotland and the Midlands look like they will peak early next week and the North West, Yorkshire and the North East who will peak next weekend.
The result is that UK disease graphs will look like a plateau.

Last edited:
Yes , we have to act now, we are and will be monitoring all sorts of information. We know testing is a way out , testing is being ramped up as fast as we can. Hopefully by end of April we will be somewhere near the 100, 000 target and we can see an exit strategy.

Agree 100% and good to see we’re monitoring international cumulative death graphs as part of that strategy as per the Gov’t briefings.

On easing the restrictions.
Think about what that question fundamentally means. It means increasing the spread of the virus and therefore increasing the rate at which people die.

Ask yourself if you would do that?

Before even considering it you need:
Cure. by this I mean either preventative cure i.e. Vaccine or acquired immunity or a medicine to control the severity of the infection. (it needs to be strong enough to stop the vulnerable dying). These are both months or even years away.

or

A compelling argument that an increase in death rate is less damaging than the long term impact of staying in lockdown. This has to consider short term social effects i.e. people going stir crazy, medium term mental health i.e. people becoming overwhelmed by depression (the press are mostly accelerating this right now) and long term i.e. increased mortality due to the upcoming financial recession.

So get yourself a pencil and pad, make two columns headed Pro and Con and draw your own conclusion.

Whoever makes the decision to ease the "non pharmaceutical interventions" as they are properly called i.e. lock down measures, has to live with every extra death that occurs either way.

Go ahead, play god, and slag off the Government while you do it.

You have to consider the financial aspect as well the country cannot keep paying 80% of people's wages waiting till a vaccine is available, we will eventually have to come out of lockdown. Difficult decisions ahead.

Agree 100% and good to see we’re monitoring international cumulative death graphs as part of that strategy as per the Gov’t briefings.
Think cumulative is the graph and it’s curve that gives a better indication than the daily ones. I don't actually recall any of the daily briefings actually showing the daily ones just the cumulative, may be wrong on that though.

One of the problems is that the press are clearly thinking there is one disease cycle here when there are clearly 9. London, South East, West Midlands, South Wales, Central Scotland, Cumbria, North West, Yorkshire & North East. All of which will peak at different times. The result is that the UK disease graphs will look like a plateau.
The South East and London have already peaked. South Wales, Cumbria, Central Scotland and the Midlands look like they will peak early next week and the North West, Yorkshire and the North East who will peak next weekend.
Been thinking about this, but as my daughter said yesterday the fact we went into lockdown at the same time , so ahead of London in the cycle, shouldn’t that mean other parts of the country could peak at the same time but at a lower level than London. If we locked down earlier in the cycle we may see the benefits of that.

Perhaps you should try more than a quick google?

Deaths outside hospital have been included since 30th March (and all before then have been retrospectively added)

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...als-to-be-included-in-uk-tally-for-first-time

The Office for National Statistics will start publishing data about the rest of the deaths from 9.30am on Tuesday giving a fuller picture of the impact of Covid-19. They will tally all of the deaths from late December until 20 March which they believe occurred outside hospitals.

Unlike the NHS figures, which are limited to people who tested positive for the disease, they will also include cases where it is mentioned as a suspected cause on death certificates.

You need to tag Karen7 in this as well mate

The questions are very repetative but the coming out of lockdown is what the public want to know,not sure if anyone is slagging off the plan or lack there of

I’m not sure Karen that the majority of the public want to know - at this point - when are we coming out of lockdown. Most peole I chat to are surprised we haven’t had the announcement of an extension to the lockdown.

IMHO once the trend in both deaths and infections is going down, that’s when a lot of people will be asking for the lockdown to end IMHO. Atm it feels like the press are obsessed with the lockdown ending and the public aren’t.

I think the main reason that they haven't said anything about a lockdown exit strategy is to avoid putting the idea in the general public's head that we can start to relax. As soon as they mention anything that softens the current situation you just know that the idiots will just hear what they want and think it's an immediate end to all things lockdown and they can resume normal life with immediate effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.