COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some possible great news with Oxford University 80% very hopeful they have a vaccine based on Chimpanzee virus. Trials start next week but they are so confident about it they have started manufacturing to produce 1,000,000 doses immediately with the hope it works and tens of millions can be produced by end of the year.
Not specifically aimed at you this, more of a general question for the thread, but would you sign up to a trial of this vaccine? With the infection rate currently so low, the trial would involve actively infecting people with this virus, after vaccination and waiting to see what happened. Given that the vast majority of people produce a natural immune response that kills the virus anyway, they’d need a placebo arm, to ensure it was the vaccine and not the natural response that was working. They’d probably need to infect some of the vulnerable group as well to ascertain its effectiveness and that might be one of the trickiest aspects of getting this tested.
For what it’s worth, as 56 year old bloke, who’s a bit overweight, I’d probably agree to take part, although that’s easy to say before it’s a possibility!!

being honest, i've never thought about it before - now during these times, i see they are not getting protective gear and councils are struggling with funding (these situations i've not seen before) - so to avoid bins not being collected, would be a good collective time to support binmen and other front line essential workers like yourself
my brother in law is an ambulance driver - he is receiving gifts on his windscreens out and about , he loves it and posts on social media every time - suppose he should be instead moaning about why no one cared before ?

W?hat is with all the hyperbole? Your ten pound tip is not going to make the slightest bit of difference to them getting extra ppe and like I have already told you once that is or was never part of the original quote that I replied to, you added this as a bit of extra self-justification and are still doing it.

I am not sure why your council is struggling but again what has this got to do with you giving a tip to a binman? More added fluff.

Good for your brother in law but I don't want gifts from people that may well be suffering from financial difficulties themselves while I am still getting my wage and I certainly don't want anything from somebody who will use it to give themselves a self-congratulatory pat on the back for doing so.

A nice switch as your final dig.

Don't bother replying the conversation is at an end.

Not specifically aimed at you this, more of a general question for the thread, but would you sign up to a trial of this vaccine? With the infection rate currently so low, the trial would involve actively infecting people with this virus, after vaccination and waiting to see what happened. Given that the vast majority of people produce a natural immune response that kills the virus anyway, they’d need a placebo arm, to ensure it was the vaccine and not the natural response that was working. They’d probably need to infect some of the vulnerable group as well to ascertain its effectiveness and that might be one of the trickiest aspects of getting this tested.
For what it’s worth, as 56 year old bloke, who’s a bit overweight, I’d probably agree to take part, although that’s easy to say before it’s a possibility!!

Good question mate.

I'm 50 next, have High Blood pressure and since childhood bronchitis have always had a weak chest that is susceptible to infection so getting to an age where you really are thinking i hope i dont catch it so would i sign up for a trial is tricky.

I would like to think we can trust the guys behind it and yes, for the greater good of all and for myself and my family i would give it a go but id be worried i wont lie.

W?hat is with all the hyperbole? Your ten pound tip is not going to make the slightest bit of difference to them getting extra ppe and like I have already told you once that is or was never part of the original quote that I replied to, you added this as a bit of extra self-justification and are still doing it.

I am not sure why your council is struggling but again what has this got to do with you giving a tip to a binman? More added fluff.

Good for your brother in law but I don't want gifts from people that may well be suffering from financial difficulties themselves while I am still getting my wage and I certainly don't want anything from somebody who will use it to give themselves a self-congratulatory pat on the back for doing so.

strange. But guess we just see it differently. keep safe

That is not how vaccination trials work.
It is unethical to try to infect volunteers.

If you work for the NHS, your bedside manner needs some work.

That’s the only tip you’ll get from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.