COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
My cleaners stopped coming about a month ago. I fucking hate cleaning the house, takes far too long and I’d much rather be doing other things

But if you want it up and running by September, with transmission currently between 0.6-0.7, there is no other way to test it.

it has been specifically ruled out by the Oxford team.
There is no way whatsoever that a vaccine can be ready for use in the general population by September.

We really haven’t got a clue about these infection numbers have we. Still can’t work out how Santa Clara have antibody kits that definitely work and there are so many question marks on ours.

An interesting study has emerged in the US which found that the number of people infected with coronavirus could be as much as 85 times higher than previously thought.

The research from Stanford University, which was published on Friday, tested samples from 3,330 people in Santa Clara county, in California, and found the virus to be 50 to 85 times more common than official figures indicated.

The study, the first large-scale one of its kind, has yet to be peer reviewed and was conducted by identifying antibodies in healthy individuals through a finger prick test, which indicated whether they had already contracted and recovered from the virus.

At the time of the study, Santa Clara county had 1,094 confirmed cases of Covid-19, resulting in 50 deaths. But, based on the rate of people who have antibodies, it is likely that between 48,000 and 81,000 people had been infected in the county by early April – a number approximately 50 to 80 times higher.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/amphtml/al...ree-stage-exit-plan?__twitter_impression=true

Interesting article on the main possibilities and likliehood of how this plays out.

Thanks for posting. Not sure of the context in which it was said, but I find this quote rather awkward: “The NHS has done it,” one minister told BuzzFeed News. “This has been an appalling few weeks but we appear to have got through it without the worst happening.”

We don't know how many people have died at home or in care homes who might otherwise have been hospitalized and added to the NHS burden, so it's perhaps a little hasty to draw such a conclusion and crass to phrase it thus.

Vaccine talk by mid-August now. From the BBC: 9.07 hours. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-52336209

The UK doesn’t currently have the capacity to produce the amount of vaccine it needs to tackle coronavirus, but “is in a really good place” for vaccine development, according to Prof John Bell, a member of the UK government's vaccine task force.

Asked about the possibility of a vaccine being produced by the autumn, Mr Bell said the real question was whether it would be effective, adding that "we won’t get a signal for that until May".

"The crucial thing is you have to do a proper trial because safety is really important for these things," he said.

"But if we can see evidence of a strong immune response by the middle or the end of May, then I think the game is on.

"And they may well get across the finish line by mid-August."

We really haven’t got a clue about these infection numbers have we. Still can’t work out how Santa Clara have antibody kits that definitely work and there are so many question marks on ours.

An interesting study has emerged in the US which found that the number of people infected with coronavirus could be as much as 85 times higher than previously thought.

The research from Stanford University, which was published on Friday, tested samples from 3,330 people in Santa Clara county, in California, and found the virus to be 50 to 85 times more common than official figures indicated.

The study, the first large-scale one of its kind, has yet to be peer reviewed and was conducted by identifying antibodies in healthy individuals through a finger prick test, which indicated whether they had already contracted and recovered from the virus.

At the time of the study, Santa Clara county had 1,094 confirmed cases of Covid-19, resulting in 50 deaths. But, based on the rate of people who have antibodies, it is likely that between 48,000 and 81,000 people had been infected in the county by early April – a number approximately 50 to 80 times higher.

Does the study mention if that test is covid-19-specific - or just generally coronavirus-specific?
In Germany we have about 4 regular seasonal coronaviruses (flu, cold...)
that are testing cross-positive on ontibody tests.
That problem has to be solved first.

If there are no suitable anti body tests available how do I know of private doctors offering them at an extortionate price as well as testing. Shouldn’t those that need them the most be given them first rather than those that can afford them? And how effective are the anti body tests? If I was paying a ridiculous amount for one then I would want to know the result is correct

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.