COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
German study finds markers in normal urine samples to early warn before CV cases become severe:

https://www.thelancet.com/pdfs/journals/lancet/PIIS0140-6736(20)31041-2.pdf

Interesting. Some theories that mouthwash could be useful. Dunno how useful, but we'll see I guess.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavi...er-mouthwash-can-reduce-transmission-11988124
Unfortunate juxtaposition of posts. What are you washing your mouth with?

I have no idea, but if they're testing it, there must be some logic behind it. I swear I read once that coronavirus lingers in the throat so sumat to do with that maybe?

Edit - i think its more of a preventative spread thing than any hope for someone who has it.

Mid April German TV said mouthwash very probably won't help.

While bacteria remain outside the mucosal body cells,
viruses are binding on the body cells and go inside within minutes.
Tthey are being reproduced there and after some time leave the destroyed cell to go on spreading.

To have a positive mouthwash impact you would have to gargle nonstop...

I have no idea, but if they're testing it, there must be some logic behind it. I swear I read once that coronavirus lingers in the throat so sumat to do with that maybe?

Edit - i think its more of a preventative spread thing than any hope for someone who has it.

The alcohol (or similar) in mouthwash would damage the virus, on a similar principle to how ti does bacteria for bad breath.

I assume the idea is that it deactivates some virus that's in the mouth or gargleable area. Not going to get all, but might get some.

(I really think gargleable should be a real word)

Mid April German TV said mouthwash very probably won't help.

While bacteria remain outside the mucosal body cells,
viruses are binding on the body cells and go inside within minutes.
Tthey are being reproduced there and after some time leave the destroyed cell to go on spreading.

To have a positive mouthwash impact you would have to gargle nonstop...

Thanks - sounds reasonable. It would at best do something for a short period only

A few bars opened on Monday here in Jerez, and they were very busy. Tuesday and yesterday less so as the novelty wore off. I'd say 90% of bars remain closed and a couple have been closed by the police.

We've been told that in Andalusia only 1.5 % of the population have been infected which means we need to tread carefully as this could flare up.
I live in Almeria and seemed to have been isolated from the infections with full lockdown, until the 1st relaxation, we will see what this bar relaxation brings in a week or so.

The number of deaths are less than 500 in South Korea.

I'm struggling to understand why we didn't follow the country who had so much experience of dealing with a similar situation. The programme doesn't show Boris Johnson in a good light, the usual jokes and the impression that he didn't have a grasp of the seriousness of the epidemic.

Boy, have things moved on since then.
You and me both.
Along with Taiwan, they have had plenty of experience from Bird flu, SARS, MERS and they had processes and systems ready to go.
It simply staggers me that the west (not just us) failed to learn from their experiences.
They also built a testing industry from scratch after SARS to be able to test as they new it was key to fighting epidemics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.