COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
We all saw the headlines yesterday from FT with the UK having the worst excess death rates, well shortly after Spain released a revision adding 12,000 deaths to their total to leapfrog us into 1st spot for excess deaths per million.

Now clearly it’s still terrible the position we’re in but it’s a reminder that for the worst hit countries it could be a while till we have accurate information.

https://www.ft.com/content/6b4c784e-c259-4ca4-9a82-648ffde71bf0

This comes as no surprise. There is a reason why eight weeks of lockdown didnt kill the virus outbreak stone dead.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/29/coronavirus-symptoms-not-isolating-sage-track-and-trace

Track and trace is going to have to enforce isolation to work.

My mum has had a really mild cough for the past couple of weeks. A proper 'ahem' clearing of the throat kind of one. Honestly nowt serious, but still there. Now she's not been anywhere thankfully, but given she's had no other symptoms and feels totally fine, she's put it down to spending more time in the garden due to being furloughed and hay-fever in general. She's probably right, but imagine how many others feel this way and have gone to the shops with the mildest of coughs etc? I don't know if a mild cough is the only symptom people can get, but I'd not be surprised at all. I bet vast amounts have felt like they haven't got it, because they presume covid coughs are terrible, not mild.

If it is, and admittedly its a big IF, symptoms can be mild, and you can spread, we desperately need to increase the messaging on this so the public realises.

My mum has had a really mild cough for the past couple of weeks. A proper 'ahem' clearing of the throat kind of one. Honestly nowt serious, but still there. Now she's not been anywhere thankfukky, but given she's had no other symptoms and feels totally fine, she's put it down to spending more time in the garden due to being furloughed and hay-fever in general. She's probably right, but imagine how many others feel this way and have gone to the shops with the mildest of coughs etc? I don't know if a mild cough is the only symptom people can get, but I'd not be surprised at all. I bet vast amounts have felt like they haven't got it, because they presume covid coughs are terrible, not mild.

If it is, and admittedly its a big IF, symptoms can be mild, and you can spread, we desperately need to increase the messaging on this so the public realises.
That sounds pollen related to me. My dad has had a seasonal cough from May to June for the last 20 years.
(He's 90 now)

Last edited:
Track and trace is a government ruse to convince those they’ve scared the living daylights out of that it’s safe to go back to work.
That might be true of our shambolic efforts. In Singapore, Hong Kong, South Korea etc they might disagree with you however. Do you not find this astonishing?

South Korea
Population: 52m
Average age 42

10 People had died from COVID-19 by: Feb 25
Extensive Testing from Day1: Yes
Contact Tracing: Yes
Face Masks: Yes
Deaths: 269

UK
Population 67m
Average Age: 40

10 People had died from COVID-19 by: March 13
Extensive Testing from Day1: No
Contact tracing: No
Face Masks: No
Deaths: 37,837

That sounds pollen related to me. My dad has had a seasonal cough from May to June for the last 20 years.

Oh yeah I believe it is too! Just an anecdotal example though. I reckon most with mild symptoms think they haven't got it.

Oh yeah I believe it is too! Just an anecdotal example though. I reckon most with mild symptoms think they haven't got it.
Good point.
Interestingly prior to being 70 my dad was just tired and had streaming eyes then the cough happened and the streaming eyes dissipated. He was still tired post 70 mind.

Have they always had questions from the public in these press conferences? I don't remember that being a thing until recently.

That might be true of our shambolic efforts. In Singapore, Hong Kong, South Korea etc they might disagree with you however. Do you not find this astonishing?

South Korea
Population: 52m
Average age 42

10 People had died from COVID-19 by: Feb 25
Extensive Testing from Day1: Yes
Contact Tracing: Yes
Face Masks: Yes
Deaths: 269

UK
Population 67m
Average Age: 40

10 People had died from COVID-19 by: March 13
Extensive Testing from Day1: No
Contact tracing: No
Face Masks: No
Deaths: 37,837
South Korea also have a higher population density. Although one thing I would say is that it's a lot easier to track and trace when you don't have thousands of active cases, as you don't when you get it up and running quickly rather than a few months into the crisis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.