COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
there hospital care must be exceptional to keep everyone alive these last week or so

Scotland have handled this very well No doubt. And admitted errors over things like care homes rather than waffle. And the relative lack of large conurbations is a big plus. Its why England has struggled whereas large countries with populations spread about less so. This is a virus that thrives in crowded locations.

Low numbers of the very ill also help Most who die do so after a week or two in icu. Having only 6 in icu now reduces the numbers immediately. Why I always post the icu bed numbers. There were over 200 in there every day when 20/30 or more a day were dying in Scotland.

The UK then had over 3300 in total in icu. So no surprise hundreds were dying daily. Right now the UK has less than 200 - the majority are in England.

Sunday data remember but England hospital deaths at new low.

Just 11. And just 1 from yesterday making the last three on the day numbers 0 1 and 1.

6 of the 11 were from the NW mind you. Though not yesterdays one.

Numbers will rise tomorrow as they always do with the weekend catch up. But still very good news, The first single figure England hospital total looks likely soon.

With such a low total little to report for add ons

11 July added 2 = 3 after 2 days

10 July added 3 = 9 after 3 days

9 July added 1 = 32 after 4 days

8 July added 1 = 20 as the 5 day total.

The preceding days totals after different number of add on days are:

7 July (20) 6 July (23) 5 July (23) 4 July (21) 3 July (17) 2 July (33) 1 July (16)

Most of these have added nothing or very few over the past ten days or so and seem unlikely to rise much further.

So you can measure where we are from the decrease in on the day death numbers.(Not had an on the day number above 9 since June 17) - and the 5 day total - where the majority of the deaths for any day are recorded by.

That run from 8 July backward to 1 July goes:

20, 19 (20), 23 (23) , 19 (23) , 19 (21) , 16 (17), 31 (33) , 14 (16)

First number is the number it was after 5 days. The one in brackets the number after the subsequent add on days - which of course increase by one day as you go back through the list but as you can see make only minor difference to the totals.

But you can also see why 9 July is standing out as unexplainedly high.

Last edited:
I think the effect of having a leader that people listen to and isn't a bumbling idiot can't be underestimated.

Even a lot of people that politically can't stand Sturgeon would admit she has done a good job.

I'm keen to understand what people base this on? I keep hearing she has done such a great job yet has one of the highest death rates per population. What is she doing so much better?

I'm keen to understand what people base this on? I keep hearing she has done such a great job yet has one of the highest death rates per population. What is she doing so much better?

Only Northern Ireland has a lower death rate for the UK. The current per population scores are:

N.I 306.8 Scotland 337.6 England 445.7 Wales 508.6

Nowhere in Greater Manchester has a better rating than Scotland. Likely very few places in the NW do.

Blackburn, for instance, on the risk list for lockdown is 715.0, Blackpool 737.9 Oldham (another watch list) is about to top 800 at 797.9

I’m partly basing it on people on here who are ideologically opposed to her but being complimentary about her handling of the pandemic. Whilst it’s true that they have a high death rate, it’s quite a bit lower than the UK as a whole. It’s in the region of 450 per million whereas the UK is over 650. Considering the Scottish government don’t have the same controls over all aspects of the response as a comparably sized sovereign country, they’ve not done too bad.

Only Northern Ireland has a lower death rate for the UK. The current per population scores are:

N.I 306.8 Scotland 337.6 England 445.7 Wales 508.6

Nowhere in Greater Manchester has a better rating than Scotland. Likely very few places in the NW do.

Blackburn, for instance, on the risk list for lockdown is 715.0, Blackpool 737.9 Oldham (another watch list) is about to top 800 at 797.9

You can't really compare any of those places to Scotland as the demographic is so different. How densely populated is greater Manchester compared to Scotland? Not saying she has done a bad job, just don't get people saying she has done a great job where she has barely done anything different. As I said the other day Sweden has a better death rate with no lockdown, that's a better comparison than Greater Manchester.

You can't really compare any of those places to Scotland as the demographic is so different. How densely populated is greater Manchester compared to Scotland? Not saying she has done a bad job, just don't get people saying she has done a great job where she has barely done anything different. As I said the other day Sweden has a better death rate with no lockdown, that's a better comparison than Greater Manchester.

I agree the per population numbers are misleading but I was only responding as they were being used as evidence against her. If they cannot support her they cannot condemn her either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.