COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
in other good news, the predicted cases from the ONS and Zoe surveys is getting closer to the actual number of cases. Only 1000 between them and test results now.

It's amazing to look at the French figures. They have an epidemic in young people but very few deaths. The '2nd wave' is totally different in age profile but the danger is that infections in the young eventually spread.

The big worry, and it should be a big worry for Mancunians, is that in a month's time the Universities will re-open, and the rates of infection amongst the young will surge particularly given that Autumn and the winter approaches.

Against that negative outlook, a vaccine in October remains feasible.

It's amazing to look at the French figures. They have an epidemic in young people but very few deaths. The '2nd wave' is totally different in age profile but the danger is that infections in the young eventually spread.

The big worry, and it should be a big worry for Mancunians, is that in a month's time the Universities will re-open, and the rates of infection amongst the young will surge particularly given that Autumn and the winter approaches.

Against that negative outlook, a vaccine in October remains feasible.

It depends how many students want to go to university this year. I think the large amount of international students that study within the three universities we have won’t come and defer starting till next year.

Interesting that the government is beginning to train up an army of vaccinators, physios and vets will be able to deliver it. The Oxford vaccine data should be out in November no wonder Trump wants to get his hands on it early.

Elise says Stockport's removal from restrictions is thanks to the hard work of the local citizens.

Not sure they have done anything different. Pity we cannot really find out why some areas are lower than others and pass on the secret.

That would be more useful to resolving the pandemic than a top town competition.

Though tbf I do run one of them every evening on here!!!

Sometime the politics comes before the issues. It’s not a major point but when Trafford saw a surge in cases a month or so ago, politicians queued up to say Trafford was a predominantly middle class, mainly white borough. Now that we have localised information showing that the areas of Trafford with most cases are Firswood and Old Trafford, the only thing we hear from the politicians is that the lockdown is being lifted too soon. That may or may not be true and Old Trafford and Firswood with houses closer together and working class communities were probably more susceptible to the virus. I’m just pointing out that the politicians are interested in the politics as well as the virus and I realise that’s stating the obvious.

It depends how many students want to go to university this year. I think the large amount of international students that study within the three universities we have won’t come and defer starting till next year.

Interesting that the government is beginning to train up an army of vaccinators, physios and vets will be able to deliver it. The Oxford vaccine data should be out in November no wonder Trump wants to get his hands on it early.
Pfizer/Biontech (US trial) has a provisional target completion date of October. This can not be relied upon though.

I believe there might be change in mix but student numbers will still be high. I think there might be problems in university cities like Manchester this Autumn.

Pfizer/Biontech (US trial) has a provisional target completion date of October. This can not be relied upon though.

I believe there might be change in mix but student numbers will still be high. I think there might be problems in university cities like Manchester this Autumn.

We are just going to have to live with this virus and protect the people that need it until one of these vaccines gets approved. Pray we get a mild autumn and winter.

Looks like the government have just abandoned the dashboard . It has been showing n/a on all the data since tea time yesterday and they have not even bothered adding a message saying it is having problems and they are trying to fix it like before when it kept going wrong.

Bank holiday so if they couldn't get it running in a working week not expecting much from today. But they could at least have put something up like - Sorry Gov UK is closed until Tuesday. We have advised the virus to go bother some other country this weekend whilst we are on holiday.

Will keep checking and hope for the best.

France had 7379 new cases and 20 deaths yesterday. That is the most cases since 31 March and it seems to be spiralling upwards now. But they are still hoping to avoid another lockdown as there is still no evidence that hospital admissions and deaths are increasing. Just not falling. Largely they think as it is mostly younger people testing positive.

The Gov UK dashboard still not on line.

But here are todays Scottish figures. They are now starting to becone worrying.

88 cases at 0.7% most in a while (it was 123 at a record 1.7% last Saturday mind you)

O deaths happily.

But patients up again to 258 in hospital (that is 12 more than last Saturday- the gap is widening).

Even more serious after being down at 1 just 8/9 days ago it is 5 now on ICU ventilators. It was 2 last week and this has been going up all week.

This is a sign that the only young people who do not get very sick are testing positive nowadays data is starting to look as if it might be changing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.