COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are the ICU ventilators general figures or specific to people with covid? I am as it was posted in the main forum yesterday that the only release the specific ventilator figures at the start of the next month. NHS website said the same but not sure if there is somewhere else releasing then daily.

In the Covid data reports they are, yes. When Nicola explained the other day the drop from 270 in hospital to 40+ in one day she explained these changes were to make sure it was only Covid patients who had been diagnosed within the past 28 days and altered the icu ventilator patients down by 1 at the same time to be more explicit on this.

Wales data 2 deaths 212 cases at 2.3% of tests. Not as steep as Scotland but the % here has been going up all week.

I bet the same is true in England but of course we are never told this critical figure here. And it is now much harder to work it out day to day.

Scotland week to week:

0 death v 3 deaths

221 cases v 350 cases

2.8% of tests v 5.3%

261 (old system) in hospital v 64 (in real terms a rise of at least 50% in patient numbers - so in the old system would be well into the 300s I assume).

Ventilator patients was 7 now 9.

Nicola Sturgeon has again asked Boris for that Cobra meeting as he ignored her request yesterday.

We cannot afford a dithering prime minister of any party. This is surely an obvious urgent necessity. She should not need to be asking. Let alone twice.

Northern Ireland is the same and they too have demanded a Cobra meeting after 5 deaths at a hospital linked to Covid in past few days.

They also had record numbers today 222 cases at what looks like about 2.5% minimum of tests.

21 patients in hospital and 4 in icu ventilator beds.

The weekly rolling average of cases that last week was 554 - has escalated day by day and is now at a record 913.

The number of deaths here is worrying as they have been so low and the numbers testing positive in the cases is at around 14% aged over 60 - a bit worse than Scotland. Though these are reportedly rising in England too.

Unfortunately they will likely not post this data until Monday in Northern Ireland unless they change tack as they got used to not needing to bother with single figures in hospital and no deaths for months and cases hardly ever going out of single figures either.

Last edited:
I thought this was both interesting and suggests we don’t need to be quite so afraid of Covid-19. In essence it’s suggesting that all countries that had very low flu seasons in 2019/20 were effectively left a ‘tinder-box‘ of frail elderly people who the virus has since swept up and will, in all likelihood, sweep up some more throughout the autumn and winter, as any respiratory virus would. I don’t agree with all his conclusions but his description of why the graphs were always likely to look the same, whatever we did is interesting as is the correlation between low XS deaths last year and high death rates this year as well as the climatic effect.

Is that a new report or the one posted a few days ago in here. Which was encouraging I agree as I posted in reply to the first one. Is this an update?

Is that a new report or the one posted a few days ago in here. Which was encouraging I agree as I posted in reply to the first one. Is this an update?
Not sure mate. Apologies if it’s the one you’d already posted I must have missed it. Still, worth a look for anyone else who might have missed it.
I think looking at that is the exact opposite of what we are doing at the minute. Respiratory viruses kill vulnerable people every year and that seems to have been forgotten at the minute. Evidence, evidence, evidence is the only science we should be following and having leaders who are prepared to change course, as soon as the evidence dictates.

So the UK hospital deaths is 21 - the most in some time. Mid July was the last time we had this number.

And N Ireland may yet add to that.

Does not sound like a lot but its a rapid doubling of numbers and if you double 21 you are at 42 and double that - well you get the picture.

Without acting (and the current restrictions are not working in GM a month on) then we will be at a concerning level before we do anything and a runaway train is far harder to stop the longer you wait.

Spain and France have both seen triple figure death numbers in recent days (though the French one yesterday had a lot of catch ups added in they were still more than double where we are now).

They were where we are a couple of weeks ago.

Hope for the best but plan for the worst is the only sensible approach to this virus.

Last edited:
Last Saturday there were just 8 UK hospital deaths v today's 21. The all settings then became 9. Today will I think pretty clearly be a lot more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.