COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
The probability of a person receiving a false positive is 97% or higher

This is self evidently absolute bollocks; if it were true then you'd simply see that the number of positives is directly proportional to the number of tests, and that hospitalisations and deaths don't follow cases. It isn't. They do.

Here's a blog post explainer with references if you're interested.

This is self evidently absolute bollocks; if it were true then you'd simply see that the number of positives is directly proportional to the number of tests, and that hospitalisations and deaths don't follow cases. It isn't. They do.

Here's a blog post explainer with references if you're interested.

Just reporting an appeal court decision. I’ve no idea either way.

I have indeed made the effort to understand COVID. It is roughly twice as infectious as flu and ten times more deadly.

I have seen much data misinterpreted which purports to show otherwise; on closer inspection it invariably proves misleading.

A recent comparison:
I know you know the difference between variance and mean so don't fall into that trap.
How does Spanish 'flu, Asian and Hong Kong 'flu compare to the average 'flu? The medics tell us that the pandemic they were preparing for was a 'flu variant?

Taken from the BBC:

What happened to cases in Liverpool and Manchester?​

Announcing which areas in England would enter which tiers, Health Secretary Matt Hancock said: "Unfortunately, we did see the impact on the number of cases going up and continuing to go up in those areas where local leaders were not working alongside us."
He said this was in “sharp contrast” to what happened in Liverpool.
Mr Hancock did not name names but one of the local leaders the government did not see eye-to-eye with was Andy Burnham – mayor of Greater Manchester.
So, what happened to coronavirus cases in these two areas?
Liverpool City Region became the first area to enter tier three restrictions (under the old system) on 14 October. In the week to 14 October, it had 467.8 cases per 100,000 people.
That number has since fallen to 180 cases per 100,000 - as of the week to 21 November - across Merseyside.
Greater Manchester entered tier three restrictions on 23 October (after a stand-off between Mr Burnham and the government).
In the week to 23 October, there were 519.7 cases per 100,000 in Greater Manchester. A week earlier, when negotiations began, there were 404.8 cases per 100,000.In response to the health secretary’s remarks, Mr Burnham told LBC: “Myself and the 10 leaders of Greater Manchester spent the weekend by the phone, waiting for the government to get back to us in the middle of that and they never did.”
He said the government should stop “playing the divide and rule game” by comparing Liverpool and Manchester.
The case rate for Greater Manchester was 274 per 100,000 - as of the week to 21 November.
Merseyside, where the case rate is below the national average, will be in tier two from 2 December, while Greater Manchester, where the case rate is above the national average, will be in tier three.

Slough is a unitary authority so is a public health authority, Lancaster isn't so there was no chance if getting special treatment. North Yorkshire is another daft example where the largest county council is all treated the same despite towns being 100 miles apart.

Presumably it's down to the authority being the ones keeping track on what they have on their patch?

It would likely be far more difficult if each individual area/town was considered separately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.