COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueHammer85

I don't understand why if vaccine can be ready in a few weeks... that we could be in a tier styled lockdown till april/may next year ?!

I understand logistics and distribution issues, but surely it can't take that long.

BlueHammer85

Having great difficulty believing the regional scoreboard tonight. Suspect if any cases ARE missing the NW has lost the most into the ether.

But IF true numbers the NW today has an astonishing drop BELOW 1000. To the lowest total since early September. Hence my scepticism.

mondays are always really low

then it's a big rise tomorrow

Healdplace

Well IF these numbers are true the news in GM is remarkable,

EVERY borough under 100. Even Manchester. And three boroughs in the 20s which we have not seen since late Summer.

Total in GM today of just 351 Down from 600 yesterday. This is 44% of the NW total. A new low for past few weeks.

3 wks v 2 wks v last wk v today GM case total: 1404 v 3858 (wk with student add ons) v 763 v 351 today.

Last edited:

Eds

I don't understand why if vaccine can be ready in a few weeks... that we could be in a tier styled lockdown till april/may next year ?!

I understand logistics and distribution issues, but surely it can't take that long.
Even if we can vaccinate 5m per week and we have to vaccinate 50m (kids of a certain age not included, people not wanting the vaccine etc) and everyone needs two jabs it would take around 20 weeks for everyone to be done around five months. So starting in December would mean finishing around April

Healdplace

mondays are always really low

then it's a big rise tomorrow
Last Monday to Tuesday GM 'jumped' from 763 DOWN to 721. Cannot judge week before as it was student week that messed up the data. But week before that it went up from 1404 to 1626 and week before that fell from 2472 to 2144.

So I don't think that is the case consistently. Though it is true less tests tend to be done at weekends.

NeilYoungIsBack

Blue moon sinking from the weight of the load...
It is utterly apolitical or connected with wealth. And all to do with saving lives by reducing spread in the way that works best.

Unconnected with wealth? Plenty of studies (e.g. TUC, World Economic Forum) have shown that it is the youngest workers that are most at risk of job losses during the Covid recession. And of course it is of course the young that have the lowest incomes and least amount of savings and other financial assets to fall back if their hours are cut or they lose their job entirely.

Then we have the harm done to children and young people from disruption to education, at least during the first great lockdown.

And whose lives are being saved? The average age of a Covid death is 82, and the great majority of lives that are being saved (or, rather, extended) are the elderly.

Your point about false economy of national vs local lockdowns needs some serious analysis that I don't think anyone has actually done yet. Instead, all we are getting from all sides is policy on the hoof driven by media and social media pressure.

Summerbuzz

Surely they'll be able to scan you for the microchip that gets injected with it...?
I would imagine we'll see certified passport apps on mobile platforms. Most of these places will use loyalty apps already. Seems easy enough to repurpose / piggyback them. Could be done bluetooth/wifi/nfc, or just have your phone generate a QR code that the POS scanner can read.

I just hope we swallow our British Pride, learn our lesson, and use the open-source framework that will inevitably be in the works.

artfuldodger

It very much sounds from the press conference, that areas are expected to provide mass testing without anything like the support that was given to Liverpool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account?

Register now!
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.