COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Army medics were also on standby if required.

I think they used some army clinicians but they were never going to get close to staffing the whole Excel / Nightingale Hospital.

There has been early graduations for newly qualified nurses and doctors that along with the reduced hospital admissions should help to keep a grip on capacity as other hospital services are restarted.

Thanks for the reply Tim and hopefully they will never be needed.

Thanks Uwe’s Grandad and let’s hope so. There seems to be ground for optimism that we will get the number of infections down and have a better regime for linking testing with tracing and isolating people to cope with possible further waves of the virus.

Off topic a bit but
A third person has been charged with stabbing an nhs worker to death 8 times they stabbed him as he left his house to go shopping, I’d hang these dirty horrible bastards

A bit leftfield maybe but I did think whether there could be a policy whereby crimes committed in a pandemic could have increased penalties. Obviously police and NHS resources are stretched so to maybe deter crime during these periods maybe increase the punishments. Simple 50% on agreed sentences for example (I’m not advocating death penalties).

Wishful thinking maybe but maybe that would help resources go in the right direction

I think they used some army clinicians but they were never going to get close to staffing the whole Excel / Nightingale Hospital.

There has been early graduations for newly qualified nurses and doctors that along with the reduced hospital admissions should help to keep a grip on capacity as other hospital services are restarted.

wasnt this also where retired doctors would come in, bringing them back into the nhs to cover.

I did hear ( can’t recall where mind you, could just be grape vine crap ) that The people bought into the nightingale hospitals would be intubated chemically enduced coma level so would need less one on one care.

wasnt this also where retired doctors would come in, bringing them back into the nhs to cover.

I did hear ( can’t recall where mind you, could just be grape vine crap ) that The people bought into the nightingale hospitals would be intubated chemically enduced coma level so would need less one on one care.

I think these issues will be part of the review when we get through the pandemic. The staffing ratios might reflect (in part) the nature of the treatment like you say. I think most of the people who volunteered to return to the NHS will have gone into existing services because Nightingale clinicians told the press there were staff shortages. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...n-intensive-care-nurses-doctors-a9476251.html

I am just glad that there wasn’t a huge demand for the Nightingale’s services and by in large existing hospitals coped. That said, some patients were refused a transfer to the NIghtingale (from other London hospitals) on the grounds that they were too ill to be transferred which might be the reason or the staffing issues may have played a part in this as other media reports claim.

I have taken this off face book but very poignant.

"For a small amount of perspective at this moment, imagine you were an American born in 1900. When you are 14, World War I starts, and ends on your 18th birthday with 22 million people killed. Later in the year, a Spanish Flu epidemic hits the planet and runs until you are 20. Fifty million people die from it in those two years. Yes, 50 million.
When you're 29, the Great Depression begins. Unemployment hits 25%, global GDP drops 27%. That runs until you are 33. The country nearly collapses along with the world economy. When you turn 39, World War II starts. You aren’t even over the hill yet.
When you're 41, the United States is fully pulled into WWII. Between your 39th and 45th birthday, 75 million people perish in the war and the Holocaust kills six million. At 52, the Korean War starts and five million perish.
At 64 the Vietnam War begins, and it doesn’t end for many years. Four million people die in that conflict. Approaching your 62nd birthday you have the Cuban Missile Crisis, a tipping point in the Cold War. Life on our planet, as we know it, could well have ended. Great leaders prevented that from happening.
As you turn 75, the Vietnam War finally ends. Think of everyone on the planet born in 1900. How do you survive all of that? A kid in 1985 didn’t think their 85 year old grandparent understood how hard school was. Yet those grandparents (and now great grandparents) survived through everything listed above.
Perspective is an amazing art. Let’s try and keep things in perspective. Let’s be smart, help each other out, and we will get through all of this. In the history of the world, there has never been a storm that lasted. This too, shall pass."

I have nothing but admiration for the generations who lived and fought through all this adversity.
This Virus may pass but it may not it may just go from a Pandemic to an Endemic killer.

At this time later Generations, which includes myself, could really do with some of the Stoicism of our forefathers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.