COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone understand the science in this paper enough to comment.

Someone says it infers that Covid will become endemic as in effect just a version of a cold and not much more dangerous.

Looks improbable but not impossible.

I know the T cell discussion suggests there is a path toward relative immunity here but basically Covid becomes a bad cold?

Do they have any real evidence here?

I am not an expert in immunology but here goes.

Basically the paper is summarising what is known about the adaptive immune response to SARS CoV2 so far and speculating what this implies for the future of the disease in man as a result of this knowledge the main thrust of the speculation is about the implications for vaccine development rather than the overall future clinical course.
Without scanning all the references etc I would imagine if it is published in JAMA the reporting of what is known so far is very accurate.
Speculation about the implications of this knowledge is necessarily uncertain, I don't think they are saying it will become a bad cold but they are saying that this is real possibility based on what we know. The basic problem is that we have not seen many other emerging viruses like this to compare so they are essentially using logic but in complex systems much is inevitably unknown.

They clearly think vaccination is the most likely way forward and are relatively optimistic about the future of a vaccine because it appears that the immune response is likely to both decrease the severity of any illness following infecion and possibly prevent it all together in many people. It also appears unlikely that the immune response generated by vaccination is likely to enhance the disease, an early concern.

All this understanding is based on less than 10 months of observation and extrapolation of this into the future course of the disease is necessarily uncertain.

Not that tech savvy so hope this works

He has done a few videos recently that could all be large contributing factors here.

1) Summer - Vitamin D specifically. recent studies show that Vitamin D really is helping reduce the severity of it if you get it.
2) Masks - They help stop you spreading it if you have it and dont know it, helping reduce viral load in others.
3) Masks - Now showing that while they wont stop you from getting it, they do help trap larger droplets and help give lower viral load in you if you do get it.

with those and social distancing helping reduce the viral load I think what we are seeing is tons of very mild cases. Long may it continue!

He has done a few videos recently that could all be large contributing factors here.

1) Summer - Vitamin D specifically. recent studies show that Vitamin D really is helping reduce the severity of it if you get it.
2) Masks - They help stop you spreading it if you have it and dont know it, helping reduce viral load in others.
3) Masks - Now showing that while they wont stop you from getting it, they do help trap larger droplets and help give lower viral load in you if you do get it.

with those and social distancing helping reduce the viral load I think what we are seeing is tons of very mild cases. Long may it continue!

Indeed. From what I see posted by anti maskers (often anti vaxxers too) there's always a reference to masks not being effective due to the size of the particles. Problem with the way this was broadcast early in the pandemic (and mask wearing is not a cultural thing of here so we don't really understand the reasons (or at least didn't).

"yes, but but it's ten minutes in the supermarket for now....but that will soon extend to 24/7"...etc etc.

Interesting discussion on another platform about mask wearing and Confucianism (rather than Communism) in China and south east Asia - essentially a collective of help rather than an individual approach.

With all this talk of increasing ‘cases’ it’s useful to discuss what, in reality, a case actually is compared with the figures being rolled out on a daily basis. This article is fairly long but worth a read and may be quite reassuring depending on your point of view

With all this talk of increasing ‘cases’ it’s useful to discuss what, in reality, a case actually is compared with the figures being rolled out on a daily basis. This article is fairly long but worth a read and may be quite reassuring depending on your point of view

The trouble is he cherry picks his data, looks at old and inaccurate data and appears to be trying to paint a political picture rather than have a rational medical understanding.

Scotland data up first:

70 cases - at 2.7%. This data is not yet complete and true for all over the UK today we are told. The data will be in effect meaningless and too low. That % from such a lowish number shows a huge number of test results are missing

Nicola Sturgeon seems deeply concerned over the problems with getting testing results and a big delay over turnaround of results.

She has insisted the UK government tell her urgently what is going on as this is a UK wide issue not just Scotland.

Someone has to get a grip of this mess when testing is now so vital. It is becoming a scandal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.