COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
A second wave was always likely if not inevitable. I think we will see more restrictions fairly soon and they need to be evidence based and communicated well by the right people. Communications from politicians and their hangers on (eg Dido) haven’t had a positive impact. Clinicians and scientists need to be giving the medical and scientific messages.

iMHO, we need to avoid a full lockdown as far as possible (and I doubt whether it work the second time around). That said, it wasn’t so bad for most people when they were allowed regular exercise.!We also need to stop the negativity that sometimes happened last time round against peole complying with the rules eg self employed trades people, gardeners etc who were working in relative isolation.

I agree with what you say.

The most important thing as far as I am concerned is ensuring that schools, colleges etc. stay open.

So the tests are said to produce 1% of all tests as a false positive which is pretty impressive .

however in reality that translates into a big number if we are testing 200,000 people a day.

that is 2,000 people you are saying have Covid Each day when statistically they don’t.

So the tests are said to produce 1% of all tests as a false positive which is pretty impressive .

however in reality that translates into a big number if we are testing 200,000 people a day.

that is 2,000 people you are saying have Covid Each day when statistically they don’t.

I think the stat is 1% of all *Positive* tests are false positive. So if there are 4,000 confirmed positive tests per day the number of false positives is around 40.

Bolton council leader on Today programme said that they believed one person triggered much of the outbreak after returning from holiday with Covid and refusing to self isolate. Then going on a weekend long pub crawl infecting others.

If true (seems unlikely you can really be that specific given the numbers) it flags up how much we have relied on the good sense and community spirit of the public to follow 'guidance' with no real consequence for themselves if they do not.

This problem will only recur as the willingness to do the right thing has understandably ebbed with the passage of time and the freedoms of Summer. Not to mention the confused messaging. Frankly bonkers timing of things they chose to do. And the lack of setting of an example that matters so much in this situation.

In the Isle of Man they kept the virus under real control (easier on a small island in the middle of the sea of course). But they had a sudden outbreak early days from someone arriving from England and refusing to self isolate. They put him in jail to make sure he did.

You give people too much freedom to choose how to comply, the considerate choose wisely and the selfish choose themselves. Unfortunately the selfish then are the ones who end the freedoms of everyone. It may need more motivation for some to do the right thing.

Last edited:
I think the stat is 1% of all *Positive* tests are false positive. So if there are 4,000 confirmed positive tests per day the number of false positives is around 40.
No one really knows what the false positive rate is and a lot depends on what you call a false positive.
The pcr test detects viral rna and if the lab is even half decent if the test is positive it means that viral rna is present with a very high degree of probability.
What this does not mean is that there is viable virus capable of causing infection still present it is probable that some positive results are as a result of resolving infection with rna present from virus that the body has denatured.
The rate that this occurs is unknown and will depend on the testing regime and when you pick up cases.

Wasting my breath, the media and the government both do with the same u know what.

Its getting out of control oh my god! But relatively speaking no ones dying in fact more people according to the ons are dying with the flu.

Is that a conspiracy?

and in a few weeks time when numbers hit 200/300 possibly. What will you say then ?

Unfortunately the England hospital deaths follow the same trend as last few days now deaths very clearly ARE rising. The legacy of those increased hospital numbers starting 2 or 3 weeks ago and the icu/ventilator patients rising over past 10 days.

Sadly this is why it is starting to look that something stricter will now be imposed. Maybe just short term to try to stem this. Indeed there are rumours of a Boris press conference on Tuesday circulating. Which might be expected anyway with the planned changes then.

16 deaths - once more a big rise on this time last week as it has been for several days. It was 8 last Saturday.

6 of the 16 are from the NW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.