COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, looking at what Whitty and Valence have presented I’m actually feeling a little bit sorry for the government. It was a terrible presentation that had a big IF but was presented as was inevitable.
I have gone back to the data and on July 4th the seven day rolling average was 583. The first doubling took 51 days (24/8), when we reached 1172. The second doubling to 2363, then took 9 days (02/09). The third doubling hasn’t happened yet 18 days later. It went up by 31% in 7 days (3084) and by 3% in the following 7 days (3183), which was 35% in 14 days.
Presenting the data in the way they did was poor and will allow the conspiracy theorists a field day.
They then compared us to France and Spain then made up an entirely new line on their graph that didn’t mean anything.
All that’s not to say they're wrong but they need to be better than that, surely?

6E85D0F4-4A48-4FC6-ADCB-1175ECBBC598.jpeg

I can only find those numbers going back to June. You are right that Spain was more (but not by loads), you are wrong about Italy and France, they were significantly less than ours. If you can find more recent figures that show a change in that fair enough.
Fewer care hones had cases:
But the bigger care home chains were crap. So in total death rate was second only to Spain.

The chains were shit and didn't spend any where nesr enough on infection control. But yeah let's blame the government for chain incompetence.

The NHS pandemic plan - in place for yonks is the reason why hospitals tried to clear wards to care homes. So whichever government was in power was going to have bad numbers.

Sadly it seems nothing has been learnt and the care hone case numbers are starting to go up.

Out of interest Karen how do you explain the sudden drop in infections and deaths in Manaus Brasil with only 20% of the population having had the virus and no lockdown. Interested to know your opinion on this?

The last time I looked at Brazil they were spiralling and 800 odd dying a day ,i don't know what is happening now, I am not going to give that link my details to read it,do you have another one please

The last time I looked at Brazil they were spiralling and 800 odd dying a day ,i don't know what is happening now, I am not going to give that link my details to read it,do you have another one please
Just type in Manaus Brasil Covid and you will see articles about it. By the way The Week magazine ia a very good read.

Doesn't require details to read that Karen, at least not on desktop PC.

We established you are not a expert in infectious diseases did we not ? You take action once the R is over one ,in england it is 1.4, how long do you want to wait ? R2 ,3,4 ? The country is a tanker ,you can't wait and wait and turn it then
Kaz, I'm a data scientist and you are discussing data. I'm not going to bother replying to you anymore as you are clearly always right.

Out of interest Karen how do you explain the sudden drop in infections and deaths in Manaus Brasil with only 20% of the population having had the virus and no lockdown. Interested to know your opinion on this?

No idea myself why it seems to have more or less disappeared but their death rate in Manchester would have seen over double the number of deaths we've actually had (circa five and a half thousand).

Bloody hell 40 new cases in Stockport in the last 24 hours.
If you are not arsed about keeping to Covid guidance here are a few reasons why you should especially if keeping us old gits alive doesn’t do it for you.

Another lock down extends the period where employers realise that they don’t need all the staff they had before Covid. And that’s assuming that your employer’s business survives.

Another lockdown puts more financial pressure on your favourite pub’s continuing existence

The government is already in debt to a level that will see us all paying more tax after covid. Don’t forget the Tories don’t have to be popular for another 4 years, its your pocket that will suffer.

Premier League football is not going to get back to normal and certainly not with fans inside stadiums until Covid cases are almost down to bugger all. And the longer the current situation prevails the more clubs will be charging for matches as they try to balance the books.

Even you young whipper snappers get ill with something from time to time, sometimes its serious – try getting a hospital bed and adequate medical care.

I am sure I could go on but life is too short especially with the increased level of numpties about.

Where did I say that ? Why should I take notice of someone not in the field of infectious diseases over medical officers with a lifetime in the field, I can't help sticking with the scientists here and in America rather than someone on a football forum ,some of you don't like being confronted with facts and my somewhat raw account of having it and the long term effects, not my problem if you don't want to know
Karen, sometimes you come across as quite dictorial on this forum. Its a forum to debate things not for people to just agree with you. An open mind is a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.