COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry but you're rewriting history there. That was not the consensus of opinion in July.

The Chief Medical Officer said in July that the UK had reached its limit on how much more could be opened up if the virus was to be kept under control. The government responded by spending all of August telling us that we all ought to needlessly go back to the office even if we could do our jobs perfectly well at home. That was clearly over and above what Whitty was saying we could afford to do. Especially with us needing to keep the decks clear in order to make way for schools to reopen.

Scientists have repeatedly warned us that we were a long way off any kind of return to normality. So it's entirely correct to criticise the government for having to change its messaging
Many scientists agreed with what the government did and for nearly 2 months it worked. People have got careless recently. Especially dick heads going on pub crawls - one of which gave us virtually the entire Bolton outbreak.

I can only assume Boris is trying in this next phase of measures to reduce the rate of infection levels to a more manageable level, whilst still giving the public a small carrot.

Should there be no measurable impact, I can see pubs being closed fully again
What a load of tosh. If you can't see how it spreads, there really is no hope for you.

In total the number of excess deaths in England and Wales in 2020 to the week ending 11 September now stands at 53,376 more than the five-year average. 52,482 mentioned COVID-19 on the death certificate, 12.1% of all deaths in England and Wales

Arghhhhhhh. Aye, and that peak ended in the first week of June. Expected deaths have remained pretty much as they should be since. See the "All Persons" figure below.
https://fingertips.phe.org.uk/stati...lance/excess-mortality-in-england-latest.html

The restrictions now are still less onerous than pre summer. Public places are still open.

There are also exceptions to meeting in households, including gardens, or for informal childcare, work/trades etc.

It is not great. I personally disagree with some of the logic, i.e how is it safer for me to see a friend in a pub than at his or mine.

Time will tell. It is pretty clear the restrictions target an age group and lifestyle, but it does broadbrush affect everyone at the same time.

I can see it gradually getting back to the restrictions we had in april/may.

There's not a chance in hell that they'll be able to put us back in our boxes again, people just won't accept it. Their error (in this area) was letting us out too quickly when they should've gradually released their grip and given us extra liberties bit by bit/in stages. It's harder to cage a free animal than it is to re-cage one that's still tethered to a stake.

You're looking at the figures wrong. Covid deaths are a random variable exhibiting variance over time so being happy it going down 5 in one day, then worrying it goes up by 7 the next day is incorrect. You need to look at the long term trend which is staying static (the curve is not increasing in an upward direction). The figures have only doubled if the mean over time doubles, which it hasn't. There's also the issue that they are counting all deaths as covid if they have tested positive for covid. The numbers unfortunately aren't very accurate.

Well you are a statistician and I am not so I am not going to argue with you on this. You obviously are the expert and I am not in any way. And I will be overjoyed if you are right here as it would be excellent news. And, of course, the numbers are still at March levels and almost certainly will never get near the April ones. We all want that.And I agree they likely will not from where we are.

But if having twice as many people on ventilators with Covid across 7 days after months of them steadily going downward. then plateauing for a week or two, now escalating is not significant I am glad I am not taking any maths exams any time soon.

There was no break tbrough on immunity in june, it was assumed which is now out of date ,hancock and whitty said yesterday tnat people have got it twice, milder and they are not sure if they can spread it so talk about immunity in june is no longer relevant ,why would i want to read that ?

i asked you for a different link to brazil yesterday as it was asking for my details , the moment has passed now ,i am much more concerned with todays news here, this immunity is pertinent to me , i have no interest in brazil so i dont know why you want me to read up and discuss that , it is enough to follow europe and america , i am happy enough to leave it there
Ok fine, if you cant be bothered reading up on things can I sugest you dont stick your self righteous nose into conversations about subjects that you have little or no knowledge of, as all it does is end up antagonising other posters.

There's not a chance in hell that they'll be able to put us back in our boxes again, people just won't accept it. Their error (in this area) was letting us out too quickly when they should've gradually released their grip and given us extra liberties bit by bit/in stages. It's harder to cage a free animal than it is to re-cage one that's still tethered to a stake.

At some point, the penny will have to drop and common sense creep in, with the public and society. Otherwise, it will be rinse repeat. Once we get to a point where very few take the piss, with or without restrictions in place, it may slow down. Hopefully.

Well you are a statistician and I am not so I am not going to argue with you on this. And I will be overjoyed if you are right here as it would be excellent news. And, of course, the numbers are still at March levels and almost certainly will never get near the April ones. We all want that.And I agree they likely will not from where we are.

But if having twice as many people on ventilators with Covid across 7 days after months of them steadily going downward. the plateauing for a week or two, now escalating is not significant I am glad I am not taking any maths exams any time soon.
I'm expecting a slight rise in numbers, primarily because people who are becoming ill from other causes get more ill over time thus making them more susceptible to covid-19, something more likely to happen as winter approaches, but, and this is key, if the numbers don't start skyrocketing, and regardless of the garbage that whitty presented the other day, they currently aren't, then we can relax a bit. As was mentioned above, only 1% of current UK deaths are from covid-19. That is a virus very much under control.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.