Creative Midfielder

Teavee75 said:
Do we reckon Barry will play on the left, or in central midfield? Guess it depends on the formation.

Do we regard our current holding midfielders, De Jong and Kompany as 'top 4' class players? Thats the standard every player has to meet now. With abundent attacking option, its holding midfielder that will be the key position...

Yes, I regard the pair of them as top-four standard. It's about harrying and concentration, and they're hard-working boys. I think that bit's covered.

The thing is, in the current default 4-5-1/4-3-3, the top three (Arsenal are still 4-4-2) have a:

Destroyer: Fletcher/Mikel/Mascherano (De Jong)
Tick-It-Over: Carrick/Ballack/Alonso (Barry)
Arrive Late: (Argumentbreaksdown)/Lampard/Gerrard (Ireland)

I really hope Elano to stay. IMO, Ireland will become great one day but still a bit inconsistent at the moment because of his lack of experiences. I think Ireland is still a bit behind Elano in terms of visionary and creativity too.

By the way, Sneijder or Van der Vaart would be a good shout If Elano really need to go though.

TonyM said:
Before this season I made the assessment that Ireland was making himself into a Keane type player rather than an attacking midfielder. Last season convinced me of the fact. He'll score many goals,because he'll break into the box at the right time, but not much more (or maybe even less) than this season. He enjoys the battle in the center and IMO he'll never be a true attacking midfielder (like Iniesta). He's what I'd call the complete midfielder (ala Lampard, Gerrard, Keane).

Just my opinion but I fear I'll need a tin hat. :-)

No, it's a good point - though I always thought of him as an attacking midfielder, with the tenacity and stanima to track back. He's demonstrated a lot of technique and vision, I think he can make an assist more regularly than Gerrard or Keane.

Do you think he's a bit slight (in physique) for the role you're talking about? He's not a great tackler.

ST Coleridge said:

I completely agree that recently many teams have these 3 types (Liverpool being the perfect example). But I think a mixture of 3 rounded players could do the same and offer more, i.e. Alonso, Barry & Ireland, meaning that the DeJong type is only needed for cover or for certain games.

Had a similar chat with a Liverpool fan recently. He said that while he loves Mascherano's effort, it was a waste playing him against some teams, and that this was part of the reason they drew so many at home.

Who knows? :-)

ST Coleridge said:
No, it's a good point - though I always thought of him as an attacking midfielder, with the tenacity and stanima to track back. He's demonstrated a lot of technique and vision, I think he can make an assist more regularly than Gerrard or Keane.

Do you think he's a bit slight (in physique) for the role you're talking about? He's not a great tackler.

He's not slight anymore. At least he's no smaller/lighter than Keane was. I'd agree he's not the same type of tackler as Keane but it's his energy and tenacity that'll have the same effect I think. A good midfield general IMO doesn't have to make sliding tackles galore, just be in the thick of it enough to stop the opposition making progress and being able to drive a team forward when in position. I think Ireland is already down this path. But this is just my opinion. :-)

TonyM said:
ST Coleridge said:

I completely agree that recently many teams have these 3 types (Liverpool being the perfect example). But I think a mixture of 3 rounded players could do the same and offer more, i.e. Alonso, Barry & Ireland, meaning that the DeJong type is only needed for cover or for certain games.

Had a similar chat with a Liverpool fan recently. He said that while he loves Mascherano's effort, it was a waste playing him against some teams, and that this was part of the reason they drew so many at home.

Who knows? :-)

I'd never considered that before (Mascherano being a waste), but it makes sense in the face of those goalless draws. That said, we're not really at Liverpool's level yet. Sometimes posters moot a four-man Sweep/Ireland/Barry/Robinho midfield, which just scares me.

Raises an interesting question though - do we think that teams will start parking the bus at COMS now?

ela's pissed on his chips repeatedly, unfortunately. silly sod, never start a fight you can't be sure of winning. hughes won't tolerate his antics again this season.

Alonso would be a great signing, but i think real hold all the aces in the battle for his signature.

sneijder seems to want to stay in madrid come what may, and i have a feeling hughes might have reservations about him. anyway, would he come as a squad player to a non-chimps league club? doubt it.

all signs point to a bid for the arteta when he recovers.

i don't think elano will be leaving until kompany gets fit. Otherwise we have only zab as a sub on the bench

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.