Cricket Thread

I saw the tail-end of the great Lancashire side from the early '70s play Cornwall at Truro in the first round of the Gillette Cup in 1977.

The side included Barry Wood (at the time, my favourite cricketer), David Lloyd, Harry Pilling, Frank Hayes, flat Jack Simmons and David Hughes.

Not surprisingly, Lancashire won easily.

Lancashire was my favourite county at the time, and had been, since I learnt that Manchester was in Lancashire.

However, later that summer, I watched - with my Dad - the great Isaac Vivian Alexander Richards hit a double century against Surrey, and Somerset has been my team ever since.

I saw the tail-end of the great Lancashire side from the early '70s play Cornwall at Truro in the first round of the Gillette Cup in 1977.

The side included Barry Wood (at the time, my favourite cricketer), David Lloyd, Harry Pilling, Frank Hayes, flat Jack Simmons and David Hughes.

Lancashire was my favourite county at the time, and had been, since I learnt that Manchester was in Lancashire.

However, later that summer, I watched - with my Dad - the great Isaac Vivian Alexander Richards hit a double century against Surrey, and Somerset has been my team ever since.
Great side that, when I started watching it was like this - Oh My Hornby & Barlow Long Ago

The committee are more focused on making as much money as possible rather than the cricketing side.

Lancs are the second richest cricket club in England after Surrey with assets of just under £60M and made a profit of £6M last year.

This is due to the ground being given special test status, the hotel, gigs and corporate events. The club have a £30M outstanding loan due to the redevelopment of Old Trafford yet the club are still in the black.Even getting relegated to division 2 won't affect the club that much.

Playing wise this season has been a disaster. Dale Benkenstein has been really poor as first team coach and the overseas players have been shit. I believe there's a really good crop of youngsters coming though starting with Rocky Flintoff but that's really not going to help the first team now.

It's going to be a really rough next couple of years playing wise but the committee don't care as the club is making money.

I agree a shake up is needed but I doubt that'll happen
They did have a small core of dissenting fans the Lancashire Action Group some of who were banned from Old Trafford for having the temerity to criticize the regime, they used to hang out in the Bishop's Blaize but went to the away fixtures. The cricketing side of things matters little to Daniel Gidney the chief executive and he's not alone, it's very much jobs for the boys on the coaching side and has been for awhile, Mark Chilton has been a disaster as director of cricket, he was arguably the most uninspiring captain of the last 4 decades and he waltzed straight into that position, a bit of a shit show to put it mildly.

David Hughes was a great captain but then again with the side he captained it must’ve been the easiest gig in county cricket at the time. I remember Patrick Patterson being fucking rapid when he played for Lancs. I played with and against Barry Woods son years and years ago and he was a tremendous bat.

David Hughes was a great captain but then again with the side he captained it must’ve been the easiest gig in county cricket at the time. I remember Patrick Patterson being fucking rapid when he played for Lancs. I played with and against Barry Woods son years and years ago and he was a tremendous bat.
Colin Croft was with Lancashire at the time of the game against Cornwall, but the speculation among us was that the management didn’t want him maiming the Cornish batsmen.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.