Crystal Palace (H) | Post Match Thread

I was helping my son move house on Saturday. 0-2 at half time, and I was following on the BM match day thread, which is never the most positive when we're down.

I didn't find out the final score until 7pm, and I was mildly amused by Liverpool's rout, pleased with England cricket win, and pleasantly surprised by our comeback.

When I saw the incident on MOTD, I (as a former referee) immediately knew why their third goal was disallowed, and knew it to be the correct decision. If it was unfair to Palace, why did not one of their players complain about it either at the time, or after the game? The only people complaining are opposition fans, who have no idea about the finer points of the LOTG.
When I 1st took the refs course the old guy who was the instructor said to us "you are about to become a referee for a sport in which the players, supporters, managers & coaches have no idea of the laws of the game".

It's stopping the keeper releasing the ball early to set up a counter attack.

I assume you are another who has never actually read the laws of the game?
I've been reading them for over 50 years, since a time when the laws were simple. I think I did once make a mistake on here with the laws.

I did quote the relevant bit of law 12 on p.58.
The offence is: "prevents the goalkeeper from releasing the ball from the hands or kicks or attempts to kick the ball when the goalkeeper is in the process of releasing it".

Intercepting the ball when the goalkeeper has released it isn't an offence.

And it's not a mandatory YC. (I think it might have been at one time but can't be bothered checking back when.)
You said the offence was delaying the restart of the game (which is a YC).

As the game hadn't stopped, how could it be delaying the restart?

I've been reading them for over 50 years, since a time when the laws were simple. I think I did once make a mistake on here with the laws.

I did quote the relevant bit of law 12 on p.58.

You said the offence was delaying the restart of the game (which is a YC).

As the game hadn't stopped, how could it be delaying the restart?
So by quoting the laws you have confirmed I am correct.

CAUTIONABLE OFFENSES
  • Is guilty of unsporting behavior (USB) ...
  • Shows dissent by word or action (DT) ...
  • Persistently infringes the Laws of the Game (PI) ...
  • Delays the restart of play (DR) ...
  • Fails to respect the required distance when play is restarted with a corner kick or free kick (FRD)

So by quoting the laws you have confirmed I am correct.

CAUTIONABLE OFFENSES
  • Is guilty of unsporting behavior (USB) ...
  • Shows dissent by word or action (DT) ...
  • Persistently infringes the Laws of the Game (PI) ...
  • Delays the restart of play (DR) ...
  • Fails to respect the required distance when play is restarted with a corner kick or free kick (FRD)
I'm struggling.

It wasn't delaying the restart of play, and it wasn't a corner or free kick.

And that list of cautionable offences (presumably from an American site) is at least three years out of date. Since 2019 it's been:

CAUTIONABLE OFFENCES

A player is cautioned if guilty of:

delaying the restart of play

dissent by word or action

entering, re-entering or deliberately leaving the field of play without the referee’s permission

failing to respect the required distance when play is restarted with a dropped ball, corner kick, free kick or throw-in

persistent offences (no specific number or pattern of offences constitutes “persistent”)

unsporting behaviour

entering the referee review area (RRA)

excessively using the 'review' (TV screen) signal

There's another list of examples of unsporting behaviour but preventing the keeper from releasing the ball isn't in that list.

Imagine what shit show we would have,if every time a keeper tried to release the ball, a player was trying to block it.
We could go back to the keeper not taking more than 3 steps without bouncing the ball, but you could shoulder charge him... Not that many tried it with Sheffield United (and England) keeper William Foulke...

1661808997813.png

Attachments

• 1661808961977.png
    1661808961977.png
    79.7 KB · Views: 6

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.