Crystal Palace (H) - Sat 27th Aug 15:00 | Pre-Match Thread

Match Result Prediction

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Right what's everyone's opinion on this inverted full backs tactic? It worked against West Ham but was exposed to great effect by Newcastle when for quite a period they were overrunning us with every attack. I fear similar on Saturday against the pace of Palace's attacks if we play the same way.

Not a fan - didn't really like it that much in the West Ham game as I thought it inhibited the team but was carried out to mitigate a lack of match sharpness. Inverted fullbacks and inverted wingers is just a bit dull.

Not a fan - didn't really like it that much in the West Ham game as I thought it inhibited the team but was carried out to mitigate a lack of match sharpness. Inverted fullbacks and inverted wingers is just a bit dull.

Moyes said it took them by surprise but I think teams with pace have it sussed now and will continue expose us. Bournemouth were so poor that game doesn't count.

Moyes said it took them by surprise but I think teams with pace have it sussed now and will continue expose us. Bournemouth were so poor that game doesn't count.

Yeah I agree - I think the Newcastle press was exceptional and the players didn't do enough to adapt in game to counteract it. They were quite sloppy on the ball, but Walker/Stones were often without passing options.

I get that it's to put Gundogan closer to Haaland (which has been effective), but KDB plays more like a 10, with the RW on the touch line. If we lose possession, Walker is inside and has a decent bit of space to cover - that plus a pacey winger is asking for trouble.

Palmer's goal tonight is what I'd like to see more of - overlapping player cutting the ball back - and Haaland would lap it up.

This will be a tricky game, we struggled against Newcastles pace on Sunday, and Palace have a few quick and tricky players who will get at us, we need to be switched on for the full 90 on Saturday

Thought Pep may have played some different formations last night but it looks like we're going shit or bust 2-3-5 all season.

It's a great formation against 75-80% of teams but if we struggle in 25% of games with it, it'll be a long slog until June.

Right what's everyone's opinion on this inverted full backs tactic? It worked against West Ham but was exposed to great effect by Newcastle when for quite a period they were overrunning us with every attack. I fear similar on Saturday against the pace of Palace's attacks if we play the same way.
Potentially useful against teams that try to play through the middle, as it gives us extra bodies in defensive midfield and allows the attacking midfield players to push further forward to where they're most dangerous, without leaving our CDM exposed. Gives our centre-backs more easy forward passing options and opens up good angles for build-up play.

Potentially disastrous against teams with fast, strong wing play, as it leaves gaps down our sides with just our wingers (none of whom are particularly defensively minded) to defend, and gives the opponents a head start against our full-backs trying to run back into the traditional fullback position.

Personally I prefer our previous tactic of inverting one fullback and using the other to form a back 3 with the centre backs. That plays to the strengths of our first choice fullbacks, allowing Cancel to play on the front foot and spark attacks and Walker to help solidify the defence.

Last edited:
Well we've been 2 down in 4 out of the last 6 games that matter. If that happens on Saturday I suspect we wont get it back against this lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.