Cycling Advice

Indeed. I paid £200 for a Chinese-build road bike and it did the length of Vietnam twice and was still in good enough condition at the end of it to get $100 for. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it, but the point is that any bike is going to be good enough for riding to work or riding around the park, and the cheaper it is, the less likely it is to be nicked.

Far more important, particularly if you're tall, is to get something that's the right size, because otherwise that'll do your back in.
What was the make called if you don't mind me being nosey?

Motachie. I bought it in Vietnam. It did have proper Shimano gears though.
I've had a poke about. There seems to be a lot of hatred among the lycra community for cheap chinese carbon bikes. They say it's because they are dangerous - I'm wondering if it's because they feel stupid for paying thousands instead of hundreds for something that is also made in China but with a posh label on it?

I'm still looking at bikes to make a a return to cycling after the incident I had in late 2018 when a prick in a car knocked me off deliberately...

I'm waiting for the claim to finalise still and need some physio for my shoulder and CBT to "compartmentalise the accident and deal with it" before the claim is likely to be settled so maybe not the best time to consider a bike as I said I won't ride again... I meant it so if I go anywhere near a bike it will be on gravel I expect.

I saw a lovely Kinesis bike the other day on eBay with a "Race The Distance" theme. Stunning bike but SWMBO wouldn't approve the ~£950 expenditure even though the bike was £2k plus and was basically brand new...

Still keeping my eye out for something special in a 56-58cm frame with the right setup... It's fun looking actually while I am at a loose end locked down
I've been looking at a kinesis aswell any good? I'm steering clear of carbon so its probably going to be something retro 90s which more my cup of tea.

Factor in the cost of lights (I have a set that set me back £30 but they don't take batteries, charge them with a mini usb cable)
Get a good pump with a psi gauge and repair kit. Definitely buy a helmet, as the above poster said, it isnt worth smashing your head off concrete at any speed. Wear a Hi viz, pretty cheap or you might be able to scav one from work.
Looking at about a oner for the accessories and you will need them and you don't want shite that breaks and needs replacing. Same with a bike, you might see an affordable 150-250 Bike but chances are it'll be a heavy steel frame and you won't enjoy using it.
I bought a hybrid bike for £450. A good mae and its light and quick. Would have spent that in 6 months commuting to work via public transport.
My employer participates in the cycle to work scheme so in effect I got my bike on tick and I recommend it heartily. Dont forgwt that thw majority of car drivers are good towards cyclists but that small minority of knobheads that don't give a toss about you and think you shouldn't be on the road are lethal. Grow eyes and ears on the back of your head .
Have fun bud.
Excellent advice there.

So many scrotes riding round at night In black would do well to heed this advice. But then again they're most probably peddling (pun intended) cheap drugs.

I've been looking at a kinesis aswell any good? I'm steering clear of carbon so its probably going to be something retro 90s which more my cup of tea.
The RTD version looks superb... I was itching to buy the 56cm one I saw on ebay but made the mistake of mentioning it to SWMBO and not buying it then taking a few days in the doghouse... I doubt another will come up like that with <100 miles on it

I like them as they have the cables and hydraulic brake pipes routed internally for a really clean look and they aren't totally race focused and will take up to 30mm tyres.. Just what I am looking for.. a good solid all rounder

Excellent advice there.

So many scrotes riding round at night In black would do well to heed this advice. But then again they're most probably peddling (pun intended) cheap drugs.
When I got knocked off by the dickhead in 2018 I was wearing a helmet and at 30mph I was lucky... I broke my collar bone in 3 places and a knuckle but my head was fine.. the helmet was broken where it hit the road...I'd never ride without one now

Got myself a mountain bike last week fed up of bloody walking in lockdown.
Not had a bike for years.
Absolutely loving it been all round the goyt valley and macc forest everyday this week.
Best 700 quid I've ever spent.
More entertainment than my season ticket anyway

I've had a poke about. There seems to be a lot of hatred among the lycra community for cheap chinese carbon bikes. They say it's because they are dangerous - I'm wondering if it's because they feel stupid for paying thousands instead of hundreds for something that is also made in China but with a posh label on it?
Oh this wasn't carbon. I don't think it was even aluminium. But it was light enough. But yeah, people who'll pay thousands to shave off a few hundred grams, but won't put any work in to get rid of their beer gut. To be fair, some of the other people on the ride had the same brand but struggled, because they weren't available in bigger frame sizes.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.