Cycling Advice

Dont go to Halfords, go to your local independent bike shop mate who will service it right for you or better still, a few tools and Google and do it yourself it really isnt difficult to service a bike.

None were open in Ashton unfortunately at the time, even tried getting one of the mobile bike techs to look at it.

My neighbour was in the army so was showing me the ropes in bike maintenance a few weeks back but from March this is the first time ive been on a bike since i snapped my collarbone going over the handle bars when i was 12. I'm 32 now (eek)

I've only ever used my Mountain Bike for going on the odd Mountain Bike trail every year, which is brilliant. However, during lockdown and have the inability to get fit at home due to the kids, i have been going on rides. Reminded me a bit of being a kid and just going out with your mates on long bike rides and not coming back for hours. I've found places i never knew existed, which is a bit sad tbh, but it's been great and i've put in some good miles. However, i do wish i had an easier bike to ride on the paths as it's so annoying peddling like a fucker to catch some speed on the mountain bike but getting overtaken by some nobhead on a roadbike who's hardly even peddling. I'm even considering taking my bike with me to work, when it opens again, and going on some rides around there.

None were open in Ashton unfortunately at the time, even tried getting one of the mobile bike techs to look at it.

My neighbour was in the army so was showing me the ropes in bike maintenance a few weeks back but from March this is the first time ive been on a bike since i snapped my collarbone going over the handle bars when i was 12. I'm 32 now (eek)

Go to bike Shack on commercial brow in Hyde, they are great. Used to use them all the time when they had the shop in hurst cross. Not used my bike for years, but really need to start again

Great stuff.

I would not upgrade that bike, keep your money for a better model. Most bikes have 10 speed rear cassettes now and the chains, shifters etc etc are not compatible. The best advice re bike spec is hydraulic disc brakes - they are in a different league to anything else. If you have cable disks now be warned they take a lot of maintenance and fiddling to keep them sharp and even with that they lose their power with time as the pads / disks age and cables stretch. The best value for money bikes are around £400~£500 flat bar hybrids with hydro disks. You get a lot less bike for your money with a road bike. I'm in the market for a road bike with hydraulic disks and its going to cost me ~£1,250 or more.
I know what you mean about brakes. My V-brakes are fine at low speed, but trying to slow down for a junction from 38mph was scary to say the least. I had a cheeky spin on a colleagues Orbea and the brakes were razor sharp compared to mine. I won't be forking out £2000 for a bike any time soon though.

I'd still like to look at getting a road bike eventually, but I can wait a while, and I'm not too bothered about second hand.

Did 45 miles on Monday morning including climbing Blackstone edge then Cragg vale.... averaging 14.2 miles per hour over the whole ride, going out again tomorrow towards Buxton way for a change, doing roughly 50 miles or so. Love being out on it on the road but reading other stuff on here I’m tempted to buy a mountain bike and do some off road cycling too.

Did 45 miles on Monday morning including climbing Blackstone edge then Cragg vale.... averaging 14.2 miles per hour over the whole ride, going out again tomorrow towards Buxton way for a change, doing roughly 50 miles or so. Love being out on it on the road but reading other stuff on here I’m tempted to buy a mountain bike and do some off road cycling too.

I presume you did the edge first and then dropped into Sowerby bridge then back around to do Cragg Vale as it’s the only way I think off doing that. Great Ave btw what rig are you riding?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.