Cycling Advice

Just done 10k or so. Really enjoyed it. Been going along the Mersey and Dunham. Nice family activity and breaks the day up.

I still have my old cycling proficiency certificate in our memory box and it's circa 54 years old. Memory boxes are a wonderful place to store the past. If I get chance in my busy schedule I will upload to thread as I am very proud of it and so was mother. However you chose to cycle do remember to wear a helmet because all those sausages in that public information film on post 37 couldn't have give a fooking toss!

Last edited:
Bought a black carrera for £350 from halfords got some cheap clip on lights£3 from halfords and bought a supertotch from aldi£9 rechargeable pretty powerfull has swivell head on it and 3 settings cable tyed it on better and cheaper than most lights ive seen designed a cover for it so looks part of the bike.enjoying my20 miles daily ride it gets very addictive .been doing weights twice daily and 350 press ups and 200 sit ups.preparing for when football starts up could be a long wait i play for a over 45s team love it.but now im hooked on cycling !

My best advice is ride defensively. I used to bike a lot when I was younger, not so much anymore - I drive 99% of the time.

When I resumed occasional cycling (on a flash ladies' bike that was left outside a posh London home with 'FREE' on it....so I was very jammy there), I was shocked at how the attitude to cyclists had deteriorated (and that's speaking as a motorist).

By 'riding defensively' I mean if you see someone in a parked car, be ready for some twat to open the car door, or pull out without indicating. Be prepared for that pedestrian looking to cross not to see you....and start to cross anyway. Expect muppets to come out of side streets and not see you / care about you. So always 'cover your breaks' and be alert. BTW, I cannot believe that people ride a bike with headphones on....your ears are a crucial part of you self-protection and awareness.

Of course, I agree all with the advice about protective gear, but don't let it give you a false sense of immunity from the dickheads. You're so vulnerable on a bike - never forget that.

All that said, enjoy yourself - and I hope you stay safe, mate.

I'm after a Kinesis RTD or something similar e.g. an Audax bike if anybody knows of one for sale.. I'm around 180cm in height so anything from 54-57cm would work I think

I've been told by SWMBO that if I do go back on the road I need to keep my mouth shut... She just doesn't believe that the guy who knocked me off my bike deliberately in 2018 was a complete maniac and thinks it was all my fault

Last weekend, I decided to get my bike out of the shed and give it a service so I can start riding again. It's only a Carrera Subway Hybrid with V-brakes and a Frankenstein group-set (SRAM Gripshift, SRAM rear mech, Shimano front mech, Shimano 7-speed cassette and Suntour 2x crankset).

The bottom bracket, wheel bearings and head-set were spot on so the service was pretty straight forward. I just had to replace both brake levers, gear cables, rear brake and cable. The only issue was the indexing on the front mech, but that's an issue with the SRAM shifter/Shimano mech.

I went out for my first ride in over 5 years; only 4 miles, just to get a feel of the bike again. Needless to say I am a bit sore now, and I will no doubt feel it in the morning.

UPDATE

Been back on the bike for a month or so now, and I'm starting to get some strength back in my legs. I got my average speed is up to 15mph (just over 24kph) over a 10 mile route which included a couple of cheeky hills, which is not bad considering I am the wrong side of 45 and not done any real cycling in over 5 years.

I'm riding a flat bar hybrid with a 7-speed 12-32 cassette and compact MTB crank set, so gearing is a bit spread out, especially when tackling a slight incline. It also runs out of gears on steep downhill sections as I found out doing 38mph down a local hill. The bike only cost me £280, and although the frame is pretty good (lightweight aluminium), it's got low end components, and not much scope for upgrading. I may upgrade the shifters, rear mech and chainring at some point, but that's about it. I might even just sack it off and trade it in for a new/second hand road bike, but for now I'm just glad to be back in the saddle.

UPDATE

Been back on the bike for a month or so now, and I'm starting to get some strength back in my legs. I got my average speed is up to 15mph (just over 24kph) over a 10 mile route which included a couple of cheeky hills, which is not bad considering I am the wrong side of 45 and not done any real cycling in over 5 years.

I'm riding a flat bar hybrid with a 7-speed 12-32 cassette and compact MTB crank set, so gearing is a bit spread out, especially when tackling a slight incline. It also runs out of gears on steep downhill sections as I found out doing 38mph down a local hill. The bike only cost me £280, and although the frame is pretty good (lightweight aluminium), it's got low end components, and not much scope for upgrading. I may upgrade the shifters, rear mech and chainring at some point, but that's about it. I might even just sack it off and trade it in for a new/second hand road bike, but for now I'm just glad to be back in the saddle.

Great stuff.

I would not upgrade that bike, keep your money for a better model. Most bikes have 10 speed rear cassettes now and the chains, shifters etc etc are not compatible. The best advice re bike spec is hydraulic disc brakes - they are in a different league to anything else. If you have cable disks now be warned they take a lot of maintenance and fiddling to keep them sharp and even with that they lose their power with time as the pads / disks age and cables stretch. The best value for money bikes are around £400~£500 flat bar hybrids with hydro disks. You get a lot less bike for your money with a road bike. I'm in the market for a road bike with hydraulic disks and its going to cost me ~£1,250 or more.

Spent £50 on nmy bike being fixed at halfords.

Picked it up after2 weeks monday night.

Less than an hour later the same issues were visable, no front break and ended up in the back of a van.

Now been almost 48 hours since i chased and complained to Halfords. Still had no call from my local store.

So frustrated

Spent £50 on nmy bike being fixed at halfords.

Picked it up after2 weeks monday night.

Less than an hour later the same issues were visable, no front break and ended up in the back of a van.

Now been almost 48 hours since i chased and complained to Halfords. Still had no call from my local store.

So frustrated

Dont go to Halfords, go to your local independent bike shop mate who will service it right for you or better still, a few tools and Google and do it yourself it really isnt difficult to service a bike.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.