Cycling to the Etihad

I've cycled to the game a few times. Never had any problems finding a bike rack and there has never been any damage or theft.

blue underpants said:
Just biked it from Stretford to the Etihad and back down the canals towpath and i'm knackered, had a good look around the stadium and the training ground and there doesn't seem to be a lot of places to chain a bike up which for a modern ground seems a bit odd
Still say Mary Ds car park ;)

If you nip along the mersey to Jacksons boat then up to the new metro line and across chorlton pk to Werburgh's Rd metro station then you're on the fallowfield loop...straight through, smooth riding, no turtle town or whitworth st to deal with..the other end of the loop drops you off at the top side of the campus via a newly tarmaced Ashton canal

Fat Chance said:
blue underpants said:
Just biked it from Stretford to the Etihad and back down the canals towpath and i'm knackered, had a good look around the stadium and the training ground and there doesn't seem to be a lot of places to chain a bike up which for a modern ground seems a bit odd

If you nip along the mersey to Jacksons boat then up to the new metro line and across chorlton pk to Werburgh's Rd metro station then you're on the fallowfield loop...straight through, smooth riding, no turtle town or whitworth st to deal with..the other end of the loop drops you off at the top side of the campus via a newly tarmaced Ashton canal
I often bike the Mersey up to Jacksons Boat then under the new Metro flyover to Chorlton water park during the week, do you mean get on the Metro tramline and cycle down that or is there a cycle path on the loop?

blue underpants said:

Did you see jack the Dipper?

blue underpants said:
Fat Chance said:
blue underpants said:

I often bike the Mersey up to Jacksons Boat then under the new Metro flyover to Chorlton water park during the week, do you mean get on the Metro tramline and cycle down that or is there a cycle path on the loop?

It has been there for years, the Fallowfield Loop. Runs alongside / or near enough parallel (I think) with Mauldeth Road, under Princess Parkway through Fallowfield (goes under Yew Tree Road) and towards Levenshulme / Gorton / Abbey Hey. Not sure where the nearest point to the ground is though. Either way it seems a long way round, especially depending on what part of Stretford you are in.

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
blue underpants said:
Fat Chance said:

It has been there for years, the Fallowfield Loop. Runs alongside / or near enough parallel (I think) with Mauldeth Road, under Princess Parkway through Fallowfield (goes under Yew Tree Road) and towards Levenshulme / Gorton / Abbey Hey. Not sure where the nearest point to the ground is though. Either way it seems a long way round, especially depending on what part of Stretford you are in.
I'm going to try that but like I said i'm not that keen on road cycling but I will give it a go
I'm near Flixton, I go through Urmston Meadows then Kob Kiln Lane onto the Mersey then pick the canal up at Stretford

blue underpants said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:
blue underpants said:

I'm going to try that but like I said i'm not that keen on road cycling but I will give it a go
I'm near Flixton, I go through Urmston Meadows then Kob Kiln Lane onto the Mersey then pick the canal up at Stretford

If you bike the mersey then take the little well worn trail that leads in the same direction the little bridge (that crosses the mersey dropping you at jacksons boat) is facing (you've now got your back to Jacks Boat and at the foot of that brdge, stretford and the bridgewater to your left and chorlton marina to your right, go straight up that trail into a road containing the approach to the metro line big new bridge crossing the mersey, down that road, crossing it into chorlton park, out the entrance/exit the other side that leads to Werburgh metro stop (anyone will steer you-nip down a side entrance) cross the line and your on a dedicated cycle lane...no cars smooth riding, 7 mile down you'll cross hyde road with a Pure Gym to your right, take the next slip to your left (then immediate right to take you at right angles to the loop you've just left) and your on what the kids term the yellow brick road (no traffick-been tarmaced last yr), this cuts across gorton, eventually terminating into the newly tarmaced ashton canal, 1 stretch up from the bridge pub at the backside of the campus..roll down the canal to joe mercer way..ball of wool. Yeah it's a longer way round but cleaner in the winter with smooth riding, pie or a pint at the match and the 10 mile clean run home will erradicate it

Fat Chance said:
blue underpants said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:

If you bike the mersey then take the little well worn trail that leads in the same direction the little bridge (that crosses the mersey dropping you at jacksons boat) is facing (you've now got your back to Jacks Boat and at the foot of that brdge, stretford and the bridgewater to your left and chorlton marina to your right, go straight up that trail into a road containing the approach to the metro line big new bridge crossing the mersey, down that road, crossing it into chorlton park, out the entrance/exit the other side that leads to Werburgh metro stop (anyone will steer you-nip down a side entrance) cross the line and your on a dedicated cycle lane...no cars smooth riding, 7 mile down you'll cross hyde road with a Pure Gym to your right, take the next slip to your left (then immediate right to take you at right angles to the loop you've just left) and your on what the kids term the yellow brick road (no traffick-been tarmaced last yr), this cuts across gorton, eventually terminating into the newly tarmaced ashton canal, 1 stretch up from the bridge pub at the backside of the campus..roll down the canal to joe mercer way..ball of wool. Yeah it's a longer way round but cleaner in the winter with smooth riding, pie or a pint at the match and the 10 mile clean run home will erradicate it
Sounds good, i'm gonna try that:)

I've been cycling to most game from Stretford for years and think there are plenty of bike racks all around the ground. If you sit in CB / North Stand, locking your bike just outside the entrance to the Athletics Stadium might be an option. There are always plenty of empty racks.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.