Cycling

Considering purchasing a cheap but cheerful single speed hybrid type bike,which brands should i be looking at? or an actual bike recommendation?

Cheers.

Considering purchasing a cheap but cheerful single speed hybrid type bike,which brands should i be looking at? or an actual bike recommendation?

Cheers.
Why only single speed - it will only make your life hard without gears? Decathlon do a load of cheap and cheerful (but reasonable quality) bikes:

Experienced cyclist here.

There's another thread on cycling that's full of good advice on here, so worth having a search for that.

If you're new and want a solid all-rounder and £400 to spend, I'd look at Decathlon. They have some excellent deals on and on a budget are probably the most solid bang for buck option. Go for either a flat bar hybrid or a 'gravel' style bike. You'll get larger tyres, mudguards and options for mounting racks/panniers if you want for commuting. These style of bikes will also have more generous gearing and a more comfortable relaxed geometry than full on road bikes.

One thing to note: almost every new rider - and I mean 99% here - buys bikes that are too big for them. Try before you buy. And when you've decided on one, you'll almost certainly be better off sizing down.

And almost all riders (including some experienced ones) ride with saddles way too high.

Take somebody with you who is an experienced cyclist and can identify a good riding position. The fit of a bike is the most important thing and is the difference between falling in love with an amazing hobby and sport, and going for one ride, deciding it's horrendously uncomfortable and throwing the bike in the shed for the next 10 years.

The GCN YouTube channel is full of tons of advice for new riders: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuTaETsuCOkJ0H_GAztWt0Q

And Francis Cade, a great cycling vlogger has a whole series on bike fits, search 'Bike Fit Tuesdays' on his channel: https://www.youtube.com/@Cade_Media

as previous posters have said decathlon is good. check out the second life section on their website as you can get some good deals on refurbished or display bikes. alot of good bike charities around Manchester that you can pick up a good bargain like cera cycloan in stockport

I love rolling up in my vintage kits and vintage steel bikes because I’m a snob against modern bike loyalist snobs
I was out on the roads with a few fellow Mamils a year or so ago in the area around Mobberley and there was a bloke coming the other way on a penny farthing. Had to do a double-take on that one!

I was out on the roads with a few fellow Mamils a year or so ago in the area around Mobberley and there was a bloke coming the other way on a penny farthing. Had to do a double-take on that one!
I used to meet a guy every day who seemingly commuted by unicycle. He went down the Outwood Trail old railway line from Radcliffe towards Clifton/Drinkwater Park area although always in the opposite direction to me commuting daily into Manchester so not sure where he was heading. Quite a long steep climb that railway line was so god knows how easy it was going up it, it looked knackering but he did it.

One thing to note: almost every new rider - and I mean 99% here - buys bikes that are too big for them
. Try before you buy. And when you've decided on one, you'll almost certainly be better off sizing down.

And almost all riders (including some experienced ones) ride with saddles way too high.
Yup.

Frame size is THE most important part of a bike fit. If you don't get the frame size right, everything else is a compromise. It's not just leg length that is important, but also reach (seat to steering tube) which allows for a comfortable riding position.

Why only single speed - it will only make your life hard without gears? Decathlon do a load of cheap and cheerful (but reasonable quality) bikes:

I might want to make it harder? that's pretty much the point.

I might want to make it harder? that's pretty much the point.
But with gears you have the option to make it as hard or as easy as you want it to be (up to a point - there will always be a gradient at which you are praying for a lower gear even if you have the lowest one available!). Probably doesn't matter anyway as very few bikes get sold without gears these days.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.