Cycling

Not sure of this is the right thread, but here goes.

Just sold my Scott MTB and got a Boardman 8.9 on eBay. I want to put flat pedals on as I'm not a fan of cleats. However I can't budge the fucking Shimano pedals. Anyone got tips on hard to shift pedals?

Just sold my Scott MTB and got a Boardman 8.9 on eBay. I want to put flat pedals on as I'm not a fan of cleats. However I can't budge the fucking Shimano pedals. Anyone got tips on hard to shift pedals?

I've changed pedals a few times, it's not too difficult. Off the top of my head you need a flat spanner 15mm?

Not being facetious here Malg, I’m assuming you know that the non drive side is a lefthand thread?

I might want to make it harder? that's pretty much the point.
I started with a fixie when I only had a lunch break to ride. I had a flip-flop hub, fixed one side i.e. when the wheels were turning, the pedals were turning too or the other options (wheel "flipped") i could freewheel when tired. I opted for fixed as I knew I couldn't slack when tired... It was great, taught me a lot about hills and forced me to get fitter...

When I finally did switch to gears I found it harder for some reason but enjoyed the downhills as I no longer span out when I reached the limit of the single gear and my legs

Nothing wrong with single speed IMHO

I've changed pedals a few times, it's not too difficult. Off the top of my head you need a flat spanner 15mm?

Most pedals also have a slot at the back for an allen key.. The key with pedals is knowing that they are sided i.e. the left hand side of the bike as you look at it from the rear has a left hand thread so you have to turn it clockwise to loosen it... The other tip is that gradual force doesn't always work.. Shocking the pedal is better i.e. apply some pressure in the direction you want to undo that pedal and give the spanner / allen key a whack with the palm of your hand or carefully use a dead blow hammer to shock the thread loose

You must be mad! Riding without cleats you’re losing between 10-20% power. Each to their own though- you’re out cycling and that’s all that really matters (you’re still mad though).

You must be mad! Riding without cleats you’re losing between 10-20% power. Each to their own though- you’re out cycling and that’s all that really matters (you’re still mad though).
I'm being a bit of a **** to be honest, I just don't like the look of them and have always used flats when using the MTB. Now I'm going road cycling I might actually just grow up and try them, I can buy a cheap pair to start with, especially if there is a 10-20% difference as I didn't think it would be quite that much. I'll have a look at Decathlon tomorrow.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.