D-Day - Student Protests in London, 09/12/10

im going to uni and will gladly pay £9000 a year plus extra.

i do law and get a job in soliciting averaging £35k the first year. i pay 5% of what i earn over 21k. thats £700 a year, or i can save and pay £2000 a year. im not arsed.

why not protest about redundancies or the criminal justice system giving out 3 years for child killers. the state of our country and those who live in it do my head in. we live in a country that is OBSESSED by money. if their so bothered about the way the country is run, why not start their own party?

Here's my proposal. Students have to pay every last penny of what their degree costs, excluding money that goes to university for the purposes of research. This can be funded through loans, so there's no need to pay up front. In return, after they graduate, they pay an absolute amount of tax which is indexed to the average amount paid by non-graduates. Basically, you pay the whole cost of your degree but not a penny more in tax. Seems fair to me.

I have skimmed the Browne Report. Very amusing I must say. Its core arguments are these; higher education is valuable to the nation; and to the graduate; and must receive more investment; but this investment must come from the graduate not the nation. Contained within are figures which demonstrate how graduates benefit themselves, and the nation. All jolly good. Implied within is that, on average, a graduate will pay over £100,000 more in taxes than a non-graduate over a lifetime. I'd daresay that's a good enough justification for the state continuing to invest more, but oh no, they want to invest less. So, in summary, something that adds value to the economy, helps the economy grow, and generates more in tax revenue - according to their own arguments, is not only not worth additional investment but merits cuts besides, so that the people who will pay £100,000 more in tax can pay even more. The true genius of the plan though is how they try to dress this up as fairness.<br /><br />-- Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:45 am --<br /><br />I wouldn't be surprised neither if the rise in tuition fees drove many of our best students abroad, likely to American universities where there has been an explosion of interest from British students since these proposals were announced. After doing well, it wouldn't be altogether shocking if the Americans wanted them to stay and contribute to their economy instead of ours.

My colleagues and I have just been along to the UCL student occupation in the Jeremy Bentham Room. Have to say, I'm hugely impressed by their organisation, politeness, and articulacy. I also admire their fortitude, as management switched off the heating to the room a few days ago.

Skashion said:
Here's my proposal. Students have to pay every last penny of what their degree costs, excluding money that goes to university for the purposes of research. This can be funded through loans, so there's no need to pay up front. In return, after they graduate, they pay an absolute amount of tax which is indexed to the average amount paid by non-graduates. Basically, you pay the whole cost of your degree but not a penny more in tax. Seems fair to me.

I quite like that idea.

crizack said:
im going to uni and will gladly pay £9000 a year plus extra.

i do law and get a job in soliciting averaging £35k the first year. i pay 5% of what i earn over 21k. thats £700 a year, or i can save and pay £2000 a year. im not arsed.

why not protest about redundancies or the criminal justice system giving out 3 years for child killers. the state of our country and those who live in it do my head in. we live in a country that is OBSESSED by money. if their so bothered about the way the country is run, why not start their own party?

Do you know how many unemployed qualified lawyers there are?
It's one of the most popular subjects, and just because you get a law degree doesn't mean you will get a job earning £35k. In an ideal world yes, but as we all know, jobs are scarce at the moment

Good luck thought, cos you're going to need it

why should scottish students get it for free and welsh kids get it subsidised while children of the great English nation get singled out to be fecking raped

The only ones who will benefit from this are the financial institutions who will issue the loans students will need to pay their way. Tuition and costs will rise yearly, as will interest rates.

This is a bankers scheme. You will regret this.

scenecreamer said:
The only ones who will benefit from this are the financial institutions who will issue the loans students will need to pay their way. Tuition and costs will rise yearly, as will interest rates.

This a bankers scheme. You will regret this.

I won't regret anything
I didn't vote Tory, and never would
Even if they were the only party standing, I wouldn't vote for them

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.