D-Day - Student Protests in London, 09/12/10

sorry if this is a thick question...

but when a student leaves uni and has a 20k debt

will it actually read -20000 in there bank account ?

crizack said:
im going to uni and will gladly pay £9000 a year plus extra.

i do law and get a job in soliciting averaging £35k the first year. i pay 5% of what i earn over 21k. thats £700 a year, or i can save and pay £2000 a year. im not arsed.

why not protest about redundancies or the criminal justice system giving out 3 years for child killers. the state of our country and those who live in it do my head in. we live in a country that is OBSESSED by money. if their so bothered about the way the country is run, why not start their own party?

Spot on. The sense of entitlement in this country is beyond a joke.<br /><br />-- Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:14 pm --<br /><br />I don't see the kids who leave school at 16 and get jobs out complaining and wanting their arses wiped by the government.

Labour have left the country in the shit and something has to be done, we are all going to have to make sacrifices including (boo hoo) the poor bloody students.

I can't believe so many people on this forum hate students. I'm disgusted at the attitude of some of these fellow Blues. Would you be against your own children going to uni? Have you any idea how much money they bring into Manchester? Have a look at Fallowfield and Withington in summer, they're like ghost towns when the students aren't there. Would Manc have been famed for its nightlife and party atmosphere without students? Don't think so. it'd be another Stoke or Hull.
Where do our future doctors, lawyers, teachers, etc, come from? Shall we just import them from Poland, so that we can moan about foreigners taking our jobs? And what's wrong with someone wanting to make a career, do better for themselves? Or should we be happy with our lot, have a shit job and live in a council house for the rest of our lives? I grew up on a council estate, paid my own way through uni (no grant, no parental help) and now I've got a nice job and a nice flat. I'm still paying my student debt off and will be until I'm 50.
And why shouldn't they protest against government lies? If the rest of the apathetic w +++kers writing on here stood up against the government and its laws (like the French do), fighting for what we believe in, then the UK wouldn't be such a shithole, full of moaning old gits who complain when they read the paper or watch the news and do F-all about it.
And why should today's students be punished? Why not make all the politicians and graduates who received free education pay back some money into the system, and at today's rates? I don't believe that for one minute, any politician would say, "Thank you for my education. I'll gladly pay 9,000 a year out of my salary." No chance. They couldn't give two s**ts about any of us 'plebs'.
The sooner people make a stand against these fatcats, the better.
I'm all for the student protests.

Go for it!

leipzigblue said:
I can't believe so many people on this forum hate students. I'm disgusted at the attitude of some of these fellow Blues. Would you be against your own children going to uni? Have you any idea how much money they bring into Manchester? Have a look at Fallowfield and Withington in summer, they're like ghost towns when the students aren't there. Would Manc have been famed for its nightlife and party atmosphere without students? Don't think so. it'd be another Stoke or Hull.
Where do our future doctors, lawyers, teachers, etc, come from? Shall we just import them from Poland, so that we can moan about foreigners taking our jobs? And what's wrong with someone wanting to make a career, do better for themselves? Or should we be happy with our lot, have a shit job and live in a council house for the rest of our lives? I grew up on a council estate, paid my own way through uni (no grant, no parental help) and now I've got a nice job and a nice flat. I'm still paying my student debt off and will be until I'm 50.
And why shouldn't they protest against government lies? If the rest of the apathetic w +++kers writing on here stood up against the government and its laws (like the French do), fighting for what we believe in, then the UK wouldn't be such a shithole, full of moaning old gits who complain when they read the paper or watch the news and do F-all about it.
And why should today's students be punished? Why not make all the politicians and graduates who received free education pay back some money into the system, and at today's rates? I don't believe that for one minute, any politician would say, "Thank you for my education. I'll gladly pay 9,000 a year out of my salary." No chance. They couldn't give two s**ts about any of us 'plebs'.
The sooner people make a stand against these fatcats, the better.
I'm all for the student protests.

Go for it!

youngones2.jpg

crizack said:

i do law and get a job in soliciting averaging £35k the first year. i pay 5% of what i earn over 21k. thats £700 a year, or i can save and pay £2000 a year. im not arsed.

Err, yes.... good luck with that. Add on an extra £20k or so for a year of LPC if you don't get a training contract.

I've just left with a first class Law degree and excellent extra-curriculars (sports, work experience etc.) and have had no luck getting anywhere near that yet.

Your attitude thus far, without even having started what is arguably the hardest degree (medicine aside), is worrying.

southernblue said:
crizack said:

Err, yes.... good luck with that. Add on an extra £20k or so for a year of LPC if you don't get a training contract.

I've just left with a first class Law degree and excellent extra-curriculars (sports, work experience etc.) and have had no luck getting anywhere near that yet.

Your attitude thus far, without even having started what is arguably the hardest degree (medicine aside), is worrying.

If you are talented enough you will get a full training contract with a big city firm. If you are not then you should look at another career.

mrksdawn19 said:
crizack said:

why not protest about redundancies or the criminal justice system giving out 3 years for child killers. the state of our country and those who live in it do my head in. we live in a country that is OBSESSED by money. if their so bothered about the way the country is run, why not start their own party?

Do you know how many unemployed qualified lawyers there are?
It's one of the most popular subjects, and just because you get a law degree doesn't mean you will get a job earning £35k. In an ideal world yes, but as we all know, jobs are scarce at the moment

Good luck thought, cos you're going to need it
Can vouch for this, my mum is a solicitor and because of recent catastrophic legal aid cuts less contracts are being awarded to firms and hundreds have folded.

southernblue said:
crizack said:

I wouldn't class law as one of the hardest degrees.

brooklandsblue2.0 said:
southernblue said:

If you are talented enough you will get a full training contract with a big city firm. If you are not then you should look at another career.

Sorry but that's absolute bollocks and I'm not just saying that for my own ego.

I've got the the last round of interviews for London City firms only to be passed up for a client or partner's relative (I have been told that - not just my own paranoia).

I've just been offered a paralegal job (in the City) after working in a restaurant from graduating until now (would've made more sense to go on jobseekers) and this is all to allow me to self-fund my LPC and hopefully improve my CV to get the training contract that is nigh on impossible to get.

So just in case anyone is in a similar boat - the advice I've been given from top lawyers is to keep plugging away and NOT to look for another career.<br /><br />-- Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:37 pm --<br /><br />
BulgarianPride said:

Let's play trump cards then?

crizack said:

Lol.

BulgarianPride said:
southernblue said:

Law is one of the most demanding. Perhaps Mathematics is harder to do well in.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.