Daily Mail, your media etc

It is good occasionally on here to see where and what people get their information and news from.

I think I did it about 10 years ago, so lets refresh it now we have numerous you tube channels and other social media avenues.

Be honest, its not judging, we all have our favourite media for one reason or another. For instance I buy the Times on a Monday because their sport/football coverage is magnificent

My media is

New Statesman
Morning Star when i can find a copy
The Economist
The Times
Novara
Byline times
James OB and Nick Ferrari on the radio

Whats yours?
I don’t look for anything by name/genre/bias. I don’t want to be guided by one way of thinking. I think that’s unhealthy. It’s what authoritarian states force on people so why would any of us do the same by choice?

If people only search for, pay for, subscribe to, or follow certain political leanings, that’s what they're doing themselves.

If anyone only reads The Mail/only reads the Guardian/only reads the Morning Star/only watches GB News/only follows the rabid left or right wing nutcases on Twitter… then they’re just idiots! Why would anyone only expose themselves to just one particular leaning? It’s no wonder extremist views are on the rise.

I find forums like Bluemoon are the best places to get news. They have a much wider stretch of political and social views where articles and opinions from a range of leanings will get posted. You get a scope of differing views across the spectrum, and importantly you don’t get influenced by one way of thinking nor trapped in those crazy [and even dangerous] algorithms. Forums also weed out any daft or extreme views. And a forum’s best form of tackling them is by correcting and proving them wrong.

Humans very easily fall into this trap though. They easily conform to what they think they should think under their tribal banner. They don’t form their own opinions on things, they let their tribe’s mantra sway their opinions. It’s like belonging to a cult. And with modern social media it’s very easy to get trapped in mazes of one way of thinking. You only have to follow half a dozen people of one leaning and you’re forever trapped in an echo chamber.

People should always get as wide a scope of information as they possibly can.

There are only two rules I have: I don’t pay any attention to the City hating sportswriters at the Guardian; and I don’t pay attention to the continually factually incorrect Express on politics.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Daily Mail is a comic, that being said I can't see any newspaper printed today that has unbiased sensible news in it. I work on the principle that it's all lies and am therefore not disappointed when I learn that they are indeed all lies.

You will get people who will tell you that this or that publication is decent, that's because that publication supports their narrative and for that reason that is put firmly and squarely on the tosh pile.

Some people struggle to tell the difference between news and opinion, and some news outlets take advantage of this by dressing up opinion as news - the worst offender by far being the Express. It’s particularly true of the headline writers who rely on people reacting to headlines without necessarily reading the detail four paragraphs in that renders the headline utterly misleading. It works though otherwise Johnson wouldn’t be PM.

Buy the Financial Times weekender, I get it from time to time and its well balanced, obviously has superb economic coverage and well above average political commentary, sadly no sport.

Trust me, buy one and see.
The FT Saturday edition is peerless. Surprised at you including The Economist in your original list though Russ. It's the home of "the market will solve everything" thinking.

Some people struggle to tell the difference between news and opinion, and some news outlets take advantage of this by dressing up opinion as news - the worst offender by far being the Express. It’s particularly true of the headline writers who rely on people reacting to headlines without necessarily reading the detail four paragraphs in that renders the headline utterly misleading. It works though otherwise Johnson wouldn’t be PM.

Precisely. A little experiment you can do on each news website is take a look at the banner categories. On the Guardian "opinion" is clearly labelled and has it's own area but this isn't true for the Express or the Mail.

There's also a blurred line of client journalism and true journalism.

Both in sport and politics some are playing for both sides to keep the money in.

Real journalists are being removed from the game with legislation and possibly even worse in other countries.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.