Dame Kelly Holmes

I ñever really understand the timing of these coming out announcement's.
Call me a cynic but they seem to coincide with a career or product relaunch or when the Media work had dried up and they need to get back in the spotlight
I thought in this day and age it was no big thing to be gay so why create such a big fuss about it.

Let’s not forget when certain celebs do come out gay it winds up the small minority in this country who are homophobic - and all homophobics will try to shut down stories like this by saying ‘who f*ckin cares!’

Similar to players taking a knee against racism

I fully agree with the sentiments of the OP about her in that regard.

What I do recall about her career trajectory, is being amazed how for years she was a commendable national standard representative athlete, competing at major championships, winning medals including a worlds silver in 1995 but never the biggest of ones, who then in 2004, at the age of 34, won Olympic golds in both the 800m and 1500m back to back, retiring almost immediately afterwards. Quite remarkable, as David Coleman almost said.

In terms of her coming out, genuinely and honestly wish her the very best.
Her championship career was blighted by injuries at inopportune times. Rarely went to a championship fully fit. That all changed for her final Olympics when she was in the shape of her life. Her strength was her greatest asset enabling her to do a rare Olympic double. A great athlete.

Last edited:
There is an amusing Kelly Holmes story. In the army she became a PT instructor. She assembled her first group of squaddies and set them a cross country race up hill. Much mumbling about a mere woman telling fit young lads to do something she was clearly incapable of doing herself. They set off, noting that she was not going with them. When they were about halfway, Kelly set off, overtook them all, and, to their astonishment, finished first. No more grumbling about this mere woman.

To be honest I had her down as being gay already (not sure why I thought it already common knowledge).

One of my sister's is gay and you could see it a mile off, not sure I even mustered the raising of an eyebrow when she finally told me...........

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.