Damned united

Revie comes off really badly there - funny how Clough comes off so much better, even though he's just been sacked.

BlueMooney said:
My favourite part of the film is when he turns around and, in answer to the question "What's going on, boss?", says: "The last 2 words of every story ever written is what's going on. The fucking end."

That's three words.

Saw it at the pictures when it came out because Clough was a boyhood hero of mine but I watched it again last night. Alot of films about Football (not Yob ones) fall short of the mark because they lack authenticity. The Damned United is one of the few that doesn't.

I remember the Leeds team of the late 60's early 70's and they were a disgrace to football with their tactics - fouling, cheating, diving (obviously a blueprint for the rags a few years later).
The FA Cup final of 1970 is a fine example of just how dirty they were: they kicked and punched Chelsea off the pitch.

Has there ever been a more magnificent character in football than Brian Clough?

Who else could leave a club where he'd just won the First Division title and promptly re-appear at a struggling THIRD DIVISION club?! It's a bit like Mourinho jacking it in at Chelsea and turning up at Leyton Orient!

Having said that, Mourinho was nothing like Clough. As Peter Lorimer said in the documentary, Clough trod a fine line between genius and insanity, whereas Mourinho always appeared to be in control. Mourinho didn't have Clough's gift for the snappy one liners either:

'Rome wasn't built in a day, but then i wasn't on that particular job'.

Clough and Taylor would have made a fantastic management duo for England in the late 70's. We underachieved with the players Revie had at his disposal.

SpiritofBurnden said:
Clough and Taylor would have made a fantastic management duo for England in the late 70's. We underachieved with the players Revie had at his disposal.

Having been born in '86, I always find it intriguing hearing about that particular era. From what I can gather the flair, 'ball' players were marginalised - the likes of Hudson, Bowles etc. Seems to be a recurring thing, even if there are less players of that ilk knocking around today than then.

Anybody see the documentary after the film? There was a snippet towards the end where you could see how alcohol abuse had buggered his skin up.

I thought he looked just like Baconface: really blotchy and vile.

revie was totally bent. the very first thing he did when he got behind his desk after being appointed england manager was to ring round all the kit manufacturers in the country and ask straight out how much they would give him for the contract to supply england's kit.

it's also well documented that when leeds were pushing for promotion in 1964 revie offered bury manager bob stokoe a cash bribe to get his players to 'take it easy' against them.

revie was a complete shithead who did immeasurable harm to the game in this country.

Nicky D said:
SpiritofBurnden said:

Having been born in '86, I always find it intriguing hearing about that particular era. From what I can gather the flair, 'ball' players were marginalised - the likes of Hudson, Bowles etc. Seems to be a recurring thing, even if there are less players of that ilk knocking around today than then.

Joe Mercer picked the likes of Alan Hudson, Stan Bowles and Frank Worthington for England when he was caretaker manager but Revie didn't trust them. Clough on the other hand, loved those sort of players. In fact he actually signed Stan Bowles and Charlie George for Forest when they were coming to the end of their careers.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.