Damned united

n_mcfc said:
Saw it for the first time tonight, obviously I'm too young to know anything about it, but reading around and stuff you get an idea. Although there are a few inaccuracies.

Loved it though.

But, were Don Revies' Leeds team really as bad as the film made out and was Bremner really that much a cock end? Also, do people still, in a way, resent Revie in the way Clough did?

Leeds had a very good team, and could play football. The trouble was, they didn't want to play football very often, as they preferred sticking the boot in.

In some ways it is a shame, as they were an excellent team, but they were cynical in their approach, and left most people like me, who are old enough to remember them, loathing them with a passion.

Bremner was probably the worst of them. A horrible little player.

As for Revie, he was the manager of one of the most despised teams in English football, became England manager, and left the national team in the lurch. A court case followed in which he was castigated in the courts and his reputation fell to a new low.

I don't remember the purported animosity between Clough and Revie. That's not to say it wasn't there, I just don't remember it.

Bluebee2 said:
It's a decent account of what happened. The appointment of Revie to the England job was obviously a mistake and the overlooking of Clough at a latter stage was a mistake also. Joe Mercer came out of it looking good though.Although i may be mistaken as only knowing anything about Manchester City after Robinho signed, so i'm told.

Christ will you stop moaning for once.

Originals said:
Bluebee2 said:
It's a decent account of what happened. The appointment of Revie to the England job was obviously a mistake and the overlooking of Clough at a latter stage was a mistake also. Joe Mercer came out of it looking good though.Although i may be mistaken as only knowing anything about Manchester City after Robinho signed, so i'm told.

Christ will you stop moaning for once.
Lol, no. It is great film though.

n_mcfc said:
But, were Don Revies' Leeds team really as bad as the film made out

Oh, yes.

n_mcfc said:
and was Bremner really that much a cock end?

Just remember him as an aggressive ginge. As I recall, the post match interview etc. with players was rare - I don't ever remember hearing Bremner speak.

n_mcfc said:
Also, do people still, in a way, resent Revie in the way Clough did?

Revie always came across as a complete cock end. I think the Clough 'obsession' as portrayed in the film might be a bit overdone - or maybe completely made up.

I just remember always hating Leeds during them times, a few teams were attempting to play football but they were always stopping it.

After I saw the film, I went on youtube and the interview at the end is on there. You know the one where the reporter sandbagged Clough and had on Revie when Clough didnt expect it. It made Clough look weak-the real interview that is.

There a lot of other stuff on the net where Clough is drunk on TV. Its was later but it was sad to see how he had fallen.

Joyfully, the record books don't indicate just how dominant Leeds were for a while. They were famous for 'just missing out'. Interestingly, the dominant TV coverage of the time - Match of The Day - were completely up Leeds and Revie. Phrases such as 'unlucky Leeds' and 'a strong tackle from Madeley there' were totally at odds with what the viewer could plainly see before his eyes.
It's worth noting also that Don's personal oiling and massage sessions with the players were, I believe, as unusual in 1970 as they would be now.

The program and this thread have reminded me just how much I used to hate hate hate Leeds.

Yep they had a programme on tonight about him showing him the worse for wear, he's still a legend though.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxsRt2yG8Es[/youtube]
Harry Gration is up Revies arse. Typical yorkshite TV.

My favourite part of the film is when he turns around and, in answer to the question "What's going on, boss?", says: "The last 2 words of every story ever written is what's going on. The fucking end."

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.