Dani Alves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perfectly summed up. It's tiresome reading "right back? Brazilian? Over thirty? He must be exactly the same human being as that over thirty Brazilian right back we signed a few years ago."

Yeh totally agree, it's borderline racist ;-)

(For the avoidance of doubt, I don't think it's actually racist, but I do agree with the premise of the post. My sentiments about people comparing Fernando and Fernandinho, or the two Ferns, is exactly the same. Totally different players.)

I can see both sides of the argument.
There is no doubt about it that Alves has been a world class full back who understands Peps system and had a very good champions league campaign.
Equally there is no doubt about it that he is getting to an age where fall offs in performance can be expected and are significant. Players appear to be able to keep going a bit older in the Italian league and CL than the PL in my view. Evra looked washed up at Utd but subsequently played well at Juve and in the CL(and Internationally). Vieira although he contributed on his return looked a shadow of his former self.

On balance though I think its a good idea providing it is in addition to and not instead of Walker as has been suggested by at least one reporter.
Hope it works but a bit more of a crossed fingers job than when a player is a bit younger.

Players appear to be able to keep going a bit older in the Italian league and CL than the PL in my view. Evra looked washed up at Utd but subsequently played well at Juve and in the CL(and Internationally). Vieira although he contributed on his return looked a shadow of his former self.

Neither of those players were as consistently capable over their career as Alves, nor as impressive in their latter years in the CL.

I don't buy this "he can shut down Neymar and Mbappe, but couldn't handle the Prem" stuff. It's nonsense.

https://www.onefootball.com/en/cms/...09:54:12Z&_branch_match_id=317083497587971082

Apparently he's issued an angry response to the media over the rumours.

"Don't spread shit, Higuain sent a video for me in a television programme. Don't do your job badly, please."

Only about the Higuain video, but that doesn't really impact on the Alves to City rumours. Multiple reliable sources confirming it's real, including @Ric on here, so don't worry ;)

There is no doubt about it that Alves has been a world class full back who understands Peps system and had a very good champions league campaign.
Equally there is no doubt about it that he is getting to an age where fall offs in performance can be expected and are significant. Players appear to be able to keep going a bit older in the Italian league and CL than the PL in my view. Evra looked washed up at Utd but subsequently played well at Juve and in the CL(and Internationally). Vieira although he contributed on his return looked a shadow of his former self.
That's what I was thinking. I have no doubt that all of the full backs we've just let go could do a good job in Italy. It's not a question of his quality, but whether he still has the legs to play Pep's demanding system. It would seem strange for Pep to complain about not being able to play the style he wants because all of the full backs are over 30, and then go out and sign someone who is older than all of the ones we've just let go. Having said that, if he's still in the physical condition to handle it, why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.