Dani Alves

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see both sides of the argument.
There is no doubt about it that Alves has been a world class full back who understands Peps system and had a very good champions league campaign.
Equally there is no doubt about it that he is getting to an age where fall offs in performance can be expected and are significant. Players appear to be able to keep going a bit older in the Italian league and CL than the PL in my view. Evra looked washed up at Utd but subsequently played well at Juve and in the CL(and Internationally). Vieira although he contributed on his return looked a shadow of his former self.

On balance though I think its a good idea providing it is in addition to and not instead of Walker as has been suggested by at least one reporter.
Hope it works but a bit more of a crossed fingers job than when a player is a bit younger.

Excellent comments mate....When looking at the bigger picture its an excellent signing (if it happens) but the concerns about this signing are very real and it would be bad business to ignore them..I feel better about this signing today, than I did last night, after first hearing the news BUT for people to almost guarantee he'll continue to stay world class when factoring in his age and a move to the prem would be a big mistake. Once we've signed Walker/Mendy this signing will look even better.

They will find the most negative angle & dwell on it. Like some of the lemons on here.

Spot on.

These lemons on here (very kind choice of word for complete idiots) saying he may not do it in the PL even though he was one of the best right backs in the world last year and then saying he may be too old at 34...I mean should we really risk this massive transfer fee of 5 million on such a brilliant and experienced player.....haha!!!....the mind boggles.

Neither of those players were as consistently capable over their career as Alves, nor as impressive in their latter years in the CL.

I don't buy this "he can shut down Neymar and Mbappe, but couldn't handle the Prem" stuff. It's nonsense.
Well assuming he does come I hope you're right, I will admit that although I watched some of the Juve matches against Barca and Monaco I didn't specifically examine Alves' defensive contribution but much of it appeared to me great team defense and counter attack in a way Pep doesn't really play.

At his age I think 2 Years is just about right. Excellent signing if he comes his experience will be invaluable in the big CL games.
Hope to read Welcome Dani very soon!

I can see both sides of the argument.
There is no doubt about it that Alves has been a world class full back who understands Peps system and had a very good champions league campaign.
Equally there is no doubt about it that he is getting to an age where fall offs in performance can be expected and are significant. Players appear to be able to keep going a bit older in the Italian league and CL than the PL in my view. Evra looked washed up at Utd but subsequently played well at Juve and in the CL(and Internationally). Vieira although he contributed on his return looked a shadow of his former self.

On balance though I think its a good idea providing it is in addition to and not instead of Walker as has been suggested by at least one reporter.
Hope it works but a bit more of a crossed fingers job than when a player is a bit younger.

Brilliant post, very well balanced and to be fair has changed my opinion.

When I first saw the rumours I thought it was a fucking stupid signing but if he can come in for a year and teach Walker, Mendy and Bertrand how to play the fullback positions in terms of leading by example while giving Walker a chance for a rest in some games then I can see the positives. I certainly learn better and quicker by seeing examples of things rather than reading books and listening to my manager for work certifications.

He's being brought in to add some much needed top level experience and leadership to the dressing room

The amount of games we have been found out at the highest level is why it's essential to add this kind of strong voice to a group of lambs

We could do with adding one or two more to be honest

Remember when we got Vieira in , he wasn't half the player he was but was a crucial voice when we were trying to find our winning mentality. Apparently he delivered a rousing speech to get us going at half time in the fa cup semi for instance

He was the best right back in Europe last year, he shows no sign of decline

It's like having a playmaker playing in the right back position, he will dramatically add to our play going forward

Brilliant signing

Just a sudden idea I had, could Pep use him in the pivot, alas Lahm? Fantastic footballer, but obviously more effective bombing up and down the flank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.