Dani Olmo

100% accurate. The first rendition of the modern galacticos mainly underachieved (not to be mistaken with the original galacticos of Di Stefano and Puskas)...

Yep both Di Stefano and Puskas from their original Galactico's have always belonged in discussions for football's greatest in their positions, if not the greatest ever in my opinion it's crazy that they're dismissed and completely overlooked by some due to the era that they played in.

Real at that time had also signed a young Francisco Gento one of Spain's greatest ever players after he impressed against them, they added playmaker forward and future Ballon d'Or winner Raymond Kopa from Reims their closest European Cup rivals at the time, they got other foreign players like Hector Rial and also a goalkeeper whose name escapes me but he was seen as South America's best keeper both those were Argentine.

They even signed perhaps Brazil's greatest ever midfielder Didi after the 1958 World Cup where he was named the best player despite both Pele and Garrincha shining, although Didi's stay at Real didn't last long his quality on the pitch was obvious he just didn't like Spain and only lasted a season, he quickly became disillusioned with life there and Di Stefano who pretty much ran things also took an instant dislike to Didi who he possibly saw as a big threat ability wise, Didi is one of the greatest midfielders in football history and would thrive in a Pep team this day and age yet barely anyone even talks about him.

When it comes to all time greats back then lots of people have the notion that players from that time wouldn't be good enough nowadays, due to the fitness demands of the modern era but it's an incredibly short sighted way of viewing things those players would've adapted.
Many are also blinded by the fact most football pitches were of piss poor quality to an almost Sunday league standard, plenty ignore the fact that it's rule changes have made the game faster paced rather than an increase in quality, players back then played to the rules of the game and the old offside rules greatly benefited defenders, attacking players back then actually needed to be of better quality and more creative to break down solid defences years ago.

I realise that I've gone off topic going on about old era's completely unrelated to the player in question on the transfer forum, so I'm gonna leave it at that and let any Dani Olmo talk take precedence over this...
I just wanted to reply properly even if it was a bit long.

Which bit ?
That there's no room. I'd love to see everyone stay healthy over 60 games but I just don't see that happening. Especially regarding KDB.

IMO one can never have enough quality players. For example, there was a time where we had KDB, Gundo, D Silva, Bernardo plus Fernandinho and Rodri in our midfield plus a young Foden.
KDB, Foden, Nunez, Kova, and Rodri is not that. Bernardo is being counted among the wide forwards and Phillips is history. We could easily add an Olmo and a Bruno G...
We're a little light on quality and a bit more light on quantity, JMO...

His name doesn’t fit a chant so well though

Even though some in the media are now saying its unlikely he joins, I'm not sure it's true that you can say his name doesn't fit into a chant... surely you could fit Dani Olmo's name into the Danny Boy song?

"Oh, Dani Olmo, the blues the blues are cheering... From Wythenshawe, all the way to Blackley."

(etc. etc.)

Not the best example and only covers Manchester itself, I'm not sure about all of Greater Manchester furthest points either, you get the idea though.

I reckon a Dani Olmo chant could easily be made from Danny Boy.

That there's no room. I'd love to see everyone stay healthy over 60 games but I just don't see that happening. Especially regarding KDB.

IMO one can never have enough quality players. For example, there was a time where we had KDB, Gundo, D Silva, Bernardo plus Fernandinho and Rodri in our midfield plus a young Foden.
KDB, Foden, Nunez, Kova, and Rodri is not that. Bernardo is being counted among the wide forwards and Phillips is history. We could easily add an Olmo and a Bruno G...
We're a little light on quality and a bit more light on quantity, JMO...
Without getting into squad numbers which would be impossible with Olmo and an 8 plus Savio so that’s not happening, it really can’t work having a player that would expect to play like Olmo in a front 5 when we have Grealish, Doku, Haaland, Alvarez, Savio, KDB, Foden, Kovacic, Bernardo, Bobb, Nunes. Even without Olmo suspect Bobb goes on loan.
We may buy an 8/6 though think that may be too much and more likely Kimmich as a 2/6 . No way we buy another 10 like Olmo unless KDB or Bernardo go.

Without getting into squad numbers which would be impossible with Olmo and an 8 plus Savio so that’s not happening, it really can’t work having a player that would expect to play like Olmo in a front 5 when we have Grealish, Doku, Haaland, Alvarez, Savio, KDB, Foden, Kovacic, Bernardo, Bobb, Nunes. Even without Olmo suspect Bobb goes on loan.
We may buy an 8/6 though think that may be too much and more likely Kimmich as a 2/6 . No way we buy another 10 like Olmo unless KDB or Bernardo go.
Remains to be seen...25 is the limit, correct? With Phillips and Cancelo we were at 24. So with Gomez out and KP and Cancelo going out one way or another and Savio coming in I'm counting 22...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.