Danilo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have a problem with us not wanting to bed Maffeo in this year. We were woeful at full back and it needs experience and quality.

What I do have a problem with was us not bedding him in last year. Stupid decision and playing Sagna/Zab and Fernandinho last year benefitted absolutely nobody, including the team.

The first bit is just not true,he played well in one game and suddenly he is ready to keep someone better out of the team,wild assumption about his potential as well imo
Totally agree - We have to trust our staff who know a lot more about our players ability and qualities than we do - in Maffeos case having only watched him have one good game for the first team does not equal potential superstar!

We all want kids in the team but only when they improve the team

Then you don't want kids in the team. Full Stop.

Do you think Iniesta improved Barcelona when he got his debut in 2002? No, he didn't. Hes spent a few years as a sub, building a little bit of experience, improving until he got to the point where he improved them. Then he played anywhere they needed a decent player, then when he was about 23 he finally nailed down a starting position because he was better than anyone else in that position.

Not sure why people seem to rate Maffeo so highly, is it just because he's one of our kids? I like him, but he's not "special" that I can tell. Above average defensively for someone his age, but small and not particularly quick for a fullback and nothing special going forwards from what I've seen. Still got a long way to go to be ready to genuinely contribute for us. He looks to have the right mentality to get there, but people seem to be acting like he's Cafu reborn

Seems to be the general trend on here. Some people prefer we give Roberts a chance and not buy Sanchez...

Don't think we are really looking for players that keep players out of the team. We want players that can play and rotate and adapt tactics without dropping quality. I don't know I've only seen a couple of videos but hopefully Danilo is good enough to cover right and left full back play 40 games and we won't know who is first choice between Walker, Mendy Denilo.
If it was a case of not dropping quality then a young kid will not be the same quality as the older experienced players,i doubt we are going to fall into the same trap of having to replace 4 fullbacks at once so after a period of first team football he might come back older and wiser,whilst i like the kids to get their chances they have to have transitioned from kids to adult football first some where its not the high pressure we have on us

I see the youth debate has reared its head once more.

It's pretty straight forward, unless you stand out like a fucking beacon in the EDS then you can forget getting into the first team at this football club.

Some may go on loan at a reasonable level and prove themselves, but that has yet to happen.

To be honest as time goes by, I think the academy is an investment to move players on at a profit. If one or two come out every few years it's a bonus.

But those thinking we take a chance on a kid from the academy, at the level we aspire to get to, then you'll be waiting forever and be repeating the same tired arguments on here.

Edit: For anyone who asks what the point of the academy is the answer is in there already. Money

If that's your opinion you just don't want kids in the team. That's fine, I disagree with the opinion but it's a valid opinion, you want nothing to do with an academy and just want 20 senior players.

If your opinion is that kids need years of top division experience before they get given a chance, you don't want academy players in the team, you want professional players who just happened to have spent some time here between 14-18.
I'm not saying that I don't want kids in the team. I'm totally fine with us not getting Danilo and having Maffeo as a backup. I'm just trying to find reasons behind Pep's decision. Don't assume I don't want young players, because what's the point in having an academy if they're not going to have a chance in hell of getting first team experience. Not having youth in the team isn't my opinion. Maffeo is a special case where he only needs a little more experience to become a complete talent and Pep doesn't seem to think he's ready for a chance at City yet. Nice assumption at my opinion though just to debate.

Then you don't want kids in the team. Full Stop.

Do you think Iniesta improved Barcelona when he got his debut in 2002? No, he didn't. Hes spent a few years as a sub, building a little bit of experience, improving until he got to the point where he improved them.
Different Barcelona back in 2002, they were struggling so had nothing to lose throwing a kid in there.

Different Barcelona back in 2002, they were struggling so had nothing to lose throwing a kid in there.

They were still one of the best teams in the world, but fine - use Thiago who came through into what's often touted as the best club side in history.

2009 makes his debut, is he better than Xavi or Iniesta? Fuck no.

2010/11, plays 17 times, is he better than Xavi or Iniesta? Nope.

2011/12 plays 45 times, is he better than Xavi or Iniesta? Nope, but he's getting pretty bloody good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.